Re: FW: biochar for filtration or water quality remediation

d.michael.shafer@gmail.com

I would strongly suggest that you contact Josh Kearns at U. Colorado and Aqueous Solutions (http://www.aqsolutions.org/). Josh has done more work on practical solutions than anyone i know, including developing a neat calculator that you will find on the website under Tools.

You can get hold of Josh at: yeah.yeah.right.on@gmail.com

Totally practical and hands-on. No BS.

Michael Shafer Director , Warm Heart
Tel: + 1-732-745-9295 | Mobile: + 66(85)-199-2958
d.michael.shafer@... | www.warmheartworldwide.org

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 10:43 PM, Tom Miles <tmiles@...> wrote:

Rob,

What is the greatest local need? That would lead to an appropriate application. I would start with simple filtration projects. Parallel what you do on the land with lab work in a local university. Focus on small applications. If you have about 150 m3 of biochar that would allow you to do replicates. All of the applications you listed are possible and have been tried at some level. We just don’t have a lot of data yet. The composition of local soils and water quality will also affect how you design filters and media.

I would suggest a combined approach. You should find a local civil engineer who designs wastewater structures, and someone who understands local soils and water quality. (Mexico is full of civil engineers and agronomists.) That would give you an institutional tie-in for when it works. Present it as an opportunity rather than  paid project since you’re not likely to have a budget. You are already working with iCATIS (http://www.icatis.org/CATIS-MX ) and probably CEDESA  (http://cedesa.org.mx/ ) .  There are civil engineers in Arizona on this list with associates in Mexico who would probably be interested in a project.

You could host an Engineers Without Borders project. I’m sure there are many EWB water projects in Mexico. Northern Illinois University is doing water filtration projects with ICATIS (See NIU/iCATIS below).  Stoves projects have found that the success of EWB associated projects depends on the professors or on the continuity of specific student leaders (3 years max).

The second part is to do water treatment on someone’s farm or in a community. It would be more of a community project, a barn raising, with people pitching  in. Civil works in any country are notoriously slow.

Possible contacts:

iCATIS (international Center for Appropriate Technology and Indigenous Sustainability)

The NIU (Northern Illinois University) chapter focuses on alleviating water quality issues in Guanajuato, Mexico. This project is separately sponsored by the international Center for Appropriate Technology and Indigenous Sustainability (iCATIS). Our objective is to effectively remove anthropogenic and environmental contaminants from this economically-limited community, we aim to research and develop filtration attachments to existing ceramic filtration designs. These filtration designs will reduce turbidity and eliminate bacteria within the current water source.

- See more at: http://www.niu.edu/ewb/projects/index.shtml#sthash.vHGjrKO2.dpuf

http://prezi.com/4zrxon17qqjh/?utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy&rc=ex0share

Mark Ludlow on this list is in Sonora and will no doubt have ideas about what, why and how

Ramon Agustin Bacre Gonzalx, Biotecnologia Mexicana contra del Cambio Climatico, http://www.bmcc.com.mx/ (Attended USBI 2013 in Amherst)

Kyle Young. katbambu@... (IBI 2009) lives in Arizona and works in Sonora, Mexico with the Fundacion Apoyo del Infantil http://www.fai-son.org/

IBI: There are five other IBI members in Mexico besides yourself. Julie Major worked with groups in Chihuahua (2010). Thayer will no doubt have contacts in Mexico.

http://ibi.memberclicks.net/index.php?option=com_community&view=search&q=mexico&matchSelection=any

Tom