Re: Flame Cap Kiln ,,,, was Re: The Kon-Tiki Comes to ETHOS

d.michael.shafer@gmail.com

What's a "kon-tiki"?

Have always been puzzled by this odd exoticism that has such an unpleasant foretaste of 19th century colonial appropriation to it. Is it a real thing or a brand name? And if it is a brand name, does it belong in a discussion along with technical categorizations?

I think that biochar has grown up to the point that we can begin to step away from such an intense emphasis on naming rights. Perhaps like the pharamceutical industry we could agree that there are generic names and commercial brand names, the former belonging to the design and the latter to whomever is profitting from the production of that particular (peculiar?) formulation? After all, as far as I can make out, this "kon-tiki" thing has at least 1,000 years of use in Japan - and correct me if I am wrong, but "kon-tiki" isn't Japanese.

For me, the idea of a cargo container is a whole lot more appealing. No suggestion of colored cocktails with little paper umbrellas in them!

Sent with MailTrack

Get a signature like this: Click here!

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 9:44 PM, Paul Anderson psanders@... [biochar] <biochar@...> wrote:

Erich and all,

I strongl encourage the adoption of "Flame Cap" as the correct and descriptive name for that is occuring in these types of char-makers.    Kelpie has hit the nail on the head.

I was once favoring "Cavity Kiln" to refer to all the shapes and depths of these open top kilns.   But flame cap discusses WHY it works, and not just a shape.

I am working on my C4 kiln, which is Controlled Covered Continuous Cavity  kiln.   But even with a cover, it is based on Flame Cap principles.    More on this later.   I am now at Aprovecho after ETHOS and with very little time for writing.

Email:  psanders@...
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com
On 2/3/2016 11:19 PM, Erich Knight erichjknight@... [biochar] wrote:

Who knew that Thor couldn't swim, how can you be an adventurer and not swim?

For the record, Kelpie's;
TFOD, Top Fed Open Draft, is IMHO, the best name for this category of kiln or pit carbonizers.

And in explanation of the term,
 Leads to explaining the TLUD category, Top Lite Up-Draft is just as distinct and concise.

Ithaka Institute Kon-Tiki
http://www.ithaka-institut.org/en/ct/111-Dig-your-own-soil-Kon-Tiki--

Kon-Tiki, Viracocha,  Apu Qun, Tiqsi, Wiraqutra and Con-Tici, whats in a name? I do like the descriptor;
The substance from which all things are created,

Which shares my broad view of carbon, & conservation of C

Cheers,

Erich

Erich J. Knight
Shenandoah Gardens
1047 Dave Berry Rd. McGaheysville, VA. 22840
  540-289-9750

Policy & Community Chairman
2013 North American Biochar Symposium
Harvesting Hope: The Science & Synergies of Biochar
October 13-16, 2013 at UMASS Amherst
http://pvbiochar.org/2013-symposium/

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 11:26 PM, Geoff Thomas wind@... [biochar] <biochar@...> wrote:

Thinking about this old rusty 20 foot Container dumped in the bush nearby, might get a cuppla firings out of it…

There are lots of ways to make this simple technology work. Let a thousand cones/pits/trenches/pyramids bloom! I just wish we had figured this out sooner. Of course we must thank the unknown Japanese inventor of the original cone kiln. Prof Ogawa gave us a clue back in 2009 when he sent this letter to Dick Stein of the Pioneer Valley Biochar group:

Ogawa Description of Small Kiln, December 22, 2009

Dear Prof. Stein: Sorry, I send the paper written only in Japanese. That is an example of papers which a local volunteer group is circulating among the members. It informs the role of charcoal in agriculture, the carbonizing method by smokeless kiln and how to enjoy Sumiyaki (charcoal production) and baking of sweet poteto.

Now I ask if the company, Moki Seisakusho or the trading company have the pamphlet of Smokeless kiln written in English or not. Probably it may be difficu lt to buy in your country. In Japan JBA recommends for people to use the kilns with different sizes 1.5, 1.0, 0.5m each in diameter. You can select the size depending on your purposes. When I tried to carbonize the dry branchs of willow using 1.0m kiln this fall, in Chaina I could get 27.4Kg charcoal from 80Kg wood after 1.5 hour extingushing fire by water. For your reference, the size of kiln 1.0m in upper diameter, 60cm in under one, 35cm in hight. The angle is key point. Air flows naturally along the ring's inside surface, so the temperature rises to about 600? by burning of generated gasses and wood can be carbonized by the deficiency of oxigen. The mechanisms is very simple, understandable and also safe for people. If you like to produce the kiln in your country, I will be able to negosiate with Mr. Moki, company owner. M. Ogawa Logged

BTW, my next kiln will be a 6 yard dumpster. Looking for a used one.