Re: The Pros and Cons of New York’s Fledgling Compost Program: NY Times [1 Attachment]

d.michael.shafer@gmail.com

Kathy,

This reminds me of one of the low hanging fruits of the "market pull" world.

Every village, town and city I know of has a public works department of
some sort responsible for collecting dead branches and trees. These are
normally chipped and often landfilled. According to the most recent Parks
Department data I could find, NYC, for example, landfills tons annually at
the cost of millions of dollars.

Since all of the collection costs are already incurred, this situation
offers an ideal opportunity to convert waste to biochar. The biochar can
then be used on parks and playing fields. The elimination of landfill costs
and the opportunity to cut fertilizer and watering costs should
substantially offset any production and handling costs.

Here, it seems to me, is a largely unproblematic way to incorporate biochar
in a big way and to demonstrate its virtues.

This is not a situation that requires expensive equipment and quality
control. In many places, simple TLUDs employing the homeless and unemployed
would do the job.

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018, 3:02 AM kdraper2@rochester.rr.com [biochar] <
biochar@yahoogroups.com wrote:

[Attachment(s) <#m_2090034984689118709_TopText> from
kdraper2@rochester.rr.com included below]

Next steps in my opinion would be to find someone that has the bandwidth,
interest and expertise to focus on this. Most likely that would be someone
that will earn some money from it either by consulting or selling product
(or technology) to them eventually. I don’t know any biochar experts in NYC
to recommend. [NYC is too far from me, the scope too big and too long-term
for me to take it on - sorry]. If someone does identify any individuals
that are interested in biochar education from NY State, I can add them to
my ever growing list of folks that I keep informed about biochar happenings
(this is only for NYS – otherwise keeping a list would overwhelm me!).

Attached is a picture of the Biomass Controls
<https://www.biomasscontrols.com/> unit at RIT which I took a few months
ago. They are doing different small scale research projects at the moment.
It’s not really public at this stage as they are still getting to know the
equipment and identifying different biomass sources to carbonize &
characterize. Dr. Tom Trabold gave a talk about some of their previous
research at the 2018 US Biochar Conference. You can find the paper on that
work here:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0959652618317864
<https://www..sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0959652618317864>.
This was a joint collaboration project with RIT, Cornell & Ithaka. I assume
Tom or one of his students will be at next year’s conference and can add
more about their efforts.

Cheers

Kathleen

*[image: cid:image001.jpg@01D1A9DA.3F10B800]*

Global best practices for biochar in agriculture, landscaping,
reforestation, construction and more: https://www.biochar-journal.org/en

New articles about climate farming, wine growing and ecology in our Ithaka
Journal: http://www.ithaka-journal.net/?lang=en

Biochar blogging at: http://fingerlakesbiochar.com/blog/