Re: The Pros and Cons of New York’s Fledgling Compo st Program: NY Times

d.michael.shafer@gmail.com

And generally produces a lot of it, as do many ill-managed "composting" operations.

Here is another great idea with serious "negative externalities" if the potential risks are not accounted for in design.

Considering the CH4 and NOx emissions even of good composting, we might want to reconsider the climate consequences of composting all of the City's garbage unless we can design a system better than that in place at its current landfill destination.

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018, 3:47 PM Anand Karve adkarve@... [biochar] <biochar@... wrote:

Waste food can be used for producing methane. Yours Karve

On Tue 13 Nov, 2018, 09:42 mikethewormguy@aol..com [biochar] <biochar@... wrote:

Kim,

The short answer.......create a market for food residue compost before creating capacity to make it.

Market creation......As a way to improve urban storm water management, one could propose to increase the Soil Organic Matter (SOM) content in every green space in and around  the city to greater than 15%....    Increasing the SOM also increases water holding capacity and results in less runoff.......    Start with Central Park.......

Also change the language used from waste to resource.....   Words have power.....

my 2 cents.......