Re: Natural Climate Solutions

d.michael.shafer@gmail.com

Amen and thank you Kathy and Albert!

So many cool things to do with char!

I would add one that is really important here in the developing world: decontaminant. It is, of course, imperfect, but with millions of square kilometers of land contaminated with industrial chemicals, pesticides, heavy metals and mine waste, there is no other low cost, reasonably effective, readily available alternative.

My two cents.

On Thu, Nov 22, 2018, 9:03 AM kdraper2@... [biochar] <biochar@... wrote:

In our upcoming (newly retitled) book “Burn: Using Fire to Cool the Earth; How We Can Harness Carbon to Help Solve the Climate Crisis”, Albert Bates and I outline a simplified carbon math format for various carbon sources and sinks. We believe that some of the previously published reports were overly focused on putting biochar in soils which unduly limits what can be carbonized (i.e. sources) and beneficially used in soils. It also limits where stable carbon can be utilized for long term sequestration (i.e. sinks). Most reports never address the up and coming uses such as building materials, livestock feed, etc. and we believe this could be equal to or perhaps even greater than soils as a repository for carbon when economics are factored in.

The carbon math in the book is not meant to be PhD level analysis and is by no means inclusive of all potential sources and sinks. Rather it is a prospective framework with some speculative estimates based on peer reviewed literature on alternative uses of biochar. It could potentially be used by industries, cities or countries to create their own ball-park estimates for where they could start converting organic waste streams into long term carbon sinks. The idea is to both reduce their carbon footprints while creating new revenue streams via biochar based products.

As we all know, there is much work to be done, but we hope those in the forum and beyond will take these suggestions to the next level allowing biochar to develop further, faster and make a material impact on rebalancing atmospheric carbon. [Book is due out in Feb 2019]

Cheers

Kathleen

Global best practices for biochar in agriculture, landscaping, reforestation, construction and more: https://www.biochar-journal.org/en

New articles about climate farming, wine growing and ecology in our Ithaka Journal: http://www.ithaka-journal.net/?lang=en