Re: The Pros and Cons of New York’s Fledgling Compo st Program: NY Times

d.michael.shafer@gmail.com

Great if you could get it to go in NYC. My previous experience with the City Council, neighborhood politics, etc. leads me to think that this is another great possibility that the City will not be able to handle.

Spent years trying simply to reach Bloomberg, the most daring and forward looking mayor since LaGuardia, to propose biomass energy from the City's dead trees. Currently all collected and chipped. Some used as mulch. Almost $20 million worth landfilled. 

Too radical for NYC, environmental and cost savings notwithstanding. 

This is, I think, the real challenge we face. Like you and Mike and many others on this list, we know char works and we know that the tech isn't rocket science. What remains beyond our reach is the organizational and political savvy to move people to action.

M

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018, 9:23 PM 'Tomaso Bertoli' tomaso.bertoli@... [biochar] <biochar@... wrote:

In our Region there is a reasonably simple yet efficient plant that uses “dry” digestion facility that generates CH4 for the national pipelines and electric generation from the domestic food waste … supporting a population of nearly 1 million people

60000 ton of green waste become 8,5 million kWh and 2 million cubic meters of CH4 and fully digested and stable compost for the vineyards  

For an aerial view of the plant

http://www.ladige.it/territori/lavis-rotaliana/2018/06/02/faedo-biodigestore-cadino-diventa-regionale

Da: biochar@... <biochar@...>
Inviato: martedì 20 novembre 2018 06:57
A: biochar <biochar@...>
Oggetto: Re: [biochar] Re: The Pros and Cons of New York’s Fledgling Compo st Program: NY Times

And generally produces a lot of it, as do many ill-managed "composting" operations. 

Here is another great idea with serious "negative externalities" if the potential risks are not accounted for in design. 

Considering the CH4 and NOx emissions even of good composting, we might want to reconsider the climate consequences of composting all of the City's garbage unless we can design a system better than that in place at its current landfill destination.

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018, 3:47 PM Anand Karve adkarve@... [biochar] <biochar@... wrote:

Waste food can be used for producing methane. Yours Karve

On Tue 13 Nov, 2018, 09:42 mikethewormguy@aol..com [biochar] <biochar@... wrote:

Kim,

The short answer.......create a market for food residue compost before creating capacity to make it.

Market creation......As a way to improve urban storm water management, one could propose to increase the Soil Organic Matter (SOM) content in every green space in and around  the city to greater than 15%.....    Increasing the SOM also increases water holding capacity and results in less runoff.......    Start with Central Park.......

Also change the language used from waste to resource......   Words have power.....

my 2 cents........

Mike

Join main@Biochar.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.