Re: The Pros and Cons of New York’s Fledgling Compo st Program: NY Times

d.michael.shafer@gmail.com

Great if you could get it to go in NYC. My previous experience with the City Council, neighborhood politics, etc. leads me to think that this is another great possibility that the City will not be able to handle.

Spent years trying simply to reach Bloomberg, the most daring and forward looking mayor since LaGuardia, to propose biomass energy from the City's dead trees. Currently all collected and chipped. Some used as mulch. Almost $20 million worth landfilled.

Too radical for NYC, environmental and cost savings notwithstanding.

This is, I think, the real challenge we face. Like you and Mike and many others on this list, we know char works and we know that the tech isn't rocket science. What remains beyond our reach is the organizational and political savvy to move people to action.

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018, 9:23 PM 'Tomaso Bertoli' tomaso.bertoli@... [biochar] <biochar@... wrote:

In our Region there is a reasonably simple yet efficient plant that uses “dry” digestion facility that generates CH4 for the national pipelines and electric generation from the domestic food waste … supporting a population of nearly 1 million people

60000 ton of green waste become 8,5 million kWh and 2 million cubic meters of CH4 and fully digested and stable compost for the vineyards

For an aerial view of the plant

http://www.ladige.it/territori/lavis-rotaliana/2018/06/02/faedo-biodigestore-cadino-diventa-regionale