Re: Blockchain, biochar, and COP24 RE: Natural Climate Solutions for the US--Major New Paper Endorses Bioch

d.michael.shafer@gmail.com

Julien,

This is really exciting. My concern, expressed indirectly in a document i
just sent to Paul, it this: will this level of verification suffice? I have
long been intimidated by the Gold Standard people and others who make clear
that nothing less than seamless plant to wherever documentation with all
the bells and whistles of verified moisture content, etc. will be
acceptable to any buyer, and not just corporate buyers.

My approach, therefore, includes time stamped video of planting,
harvesting, charring, bagging, etc., tested technologies and local
techniques for using it, standardized moisture contents,and on and on. -
all done by a paid outsider.

Do you have reason to believe that a system as simply as the one you
propose will be accepted?

Where and how do you propose to find a graduate student to do the study?
Here in Thailand, most graduate students are apparently not allowed to go
off campus. I am repeatedly told that without parental permission they
cannot go on site to track yields, for example. Very frustrating. Do you
have suggestions?

Michael Shafer
www.warmheartworldwide.org
www.twitter.com/warmheartorg
http://www.facebook.com/warmheartworldwide
<http://www.youtube.com/warmheartvideo>

[image: photo]
*Dr. D. Michael Shafer*
Founder and Director, Warm Heart

+1 732-745-9295 | +66 (0)85 199-2958 | d.michael.shafer@gmail.com

www.warmhearworldwide.org | Skype: d.michael.shafer53 <#>
<http://www.facebook.com/d.michael.shafer>
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/michaelshaferwarmheart?trk=nav_responsive_tab_profile>
<http://twitter.com/warmheartorg>
<https://www.facebook.com/warmheartworldwide/>

Latest Tweet: <https://twitter.com/WarmHeartOrg> Help Young Smart Farmers
Project Feed 45 Children on @globalgiving <https://twitter.com/globalgiving>
https://t.co/Zb4XME0dey Read More
<https://twitter.com/WarmHeartOrg/statuses/1067528447788892160>
Get your own email signature
<https://www.wisestamp.com/signature-in-email?utm_source=promotion&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=get_your_own>

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 10:01 PM Julien Winter <winter.julien@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hi all;

There is a biochar production project in Bangladesh that will be reporting
on biochar production on TLUD cookstoves.

The Akha(TLUD)-biochar project in Bangladesh has been gathering
information on household biochar production as part of their method of
rural extension education.
The TLUD + biochar are presented as companion technologies, so that means
there is a fair bit of information for households to assimilate.
The approach has been to form "Biochar User Groups" (BUG), which are
groups of about 10 to 20 women who meet regularly to learn and exchange
experiences.
At the meetings the learn how to use a TLUD and method of preparing fuel,
and how to use biochar to enhance plant nutrient management and enhance
soil tilth.
The session are delivered by project staff, with the occasional visit by
Government or university agronomists.

One of the purposes of the BUGs is to get a core of people you have a
proper understanding of the new technologies. This is important for a
couple reasons.
1) If they don't have a sufficient understanding (e.g., of how to use a
TLUD), they may an unfavorable or equivocal experiences.
2) They are the first adopters of TLUD-biochar technology, and they will
become vectors of the ideas in their broader community.
That is, they are an essential part of spreading the news, so it had
better be reliable news and good news.

DOCUMENTING BIOCHAR PRODUCTION

The BUGs also play a role in technology evaluation, feasibility and
development.
One important role they play is to document their biochar production.
Once a month, they bring in their biochar to be weighed. This should
allow for estimating the frequency at which the Akha TLUD is used, and to
track the effect of seasons (wet and dry) and access to fuel (fuel
security) for different households.
This will provide core data to estimate biochar production from a future
large population of TLUD stoves.

There is an assumption that TLUD char is being used as biochar and not
charcoal. This can be checked. However, an economic demand for biochar
for agriculture is being created by the Akha-Biochar Project, and
Government and university agronomists by conducting field trials and
graduate student research at the Akha-Biochar Project Locations. (The
universities are independent collaborators using Akha TLUD biochar.)

We are compiling the data to chart household biochar production. The
crop yield-response curves for biochar use in fields and gardens will
require a year or two of data, and the completion of graduate student
thesis.

There are currently >200 participating BUG households.
A preliminary report of the work should be appearing in January.
Work on biochar research in Bangladesh is being compiled here:
www.biochar-bangladesh.org
There is a YouTube video of the Akha and university plots in Bangla here:
https://youtu.be/mxuVUV0_Des We are working on sub-titles in English.

Cheers,
Julien.

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 5:42 AM 'd.michael.shafer@gmail.com'
d.michael.shafer@gmail.com [biochar] <biochar@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Well, yes and no.

The system will need people like me, but I cannot do the field stuff by
myself. There is no way, for example, that I can meaningfully verify that
"my" farmers are doing what they say. To do this, I will require a network
of observers in the villages who can track what is going on and report it
in a secure way. These people will need to be paid and they will require a
secure system for reporting. The easiest way I can imagine for reporting is
a simple telephone app that can be translated into lots of languages and
connect to a common underlying database.

Which brings us to the blockchain. Without a reliable system to store
this field data and make it credible to those who will be buying the
sequestered carbon, all my efforts and those of the field workers will be
for nought. I cannot separate the two. I have no incentive to organize the
whole field system, let alone pay a lot of field workers if the data we
collect is worthless. By the same token, the blockchain is an empty vessel
without us.

Michael Shafer
www.warmheartworldwide.org
www.twitter.com/warmheartorg
http://www.facebook.com/warmheartworldwide
<http://www.youtube.com/warmheartvideo>

[image: photo]
*Dr. D. Michael Shafer*
Founder and Director, Warm Heart

+1 732-745-9295 <+1%20732-745-9295> | +66 (0)85 199-2958
<+66%20(0)85%20199-2958> | d.michael.shafer@gmail.com

www.warmhearworldwide.org | Skype: d.michael.shafer53
<#m_3522808464459400547_m_7853914835048186799_>
<http://www.facebook.com/d.michael.shafer>
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/michaelshaferwarmheart?trk=nav_responsive_tab_profile>
<http://twitter.com/warmheartorg>
<https://www.facebook.com/warmheartworldwide/>

Latest Tweet: <https://twitter.com/WarmHeartOrg> I liked a @YouTube
<https://twitter.com/YouTube> video https://t.co/RDCv7xOjRE Apachie
Helping out Ground Units Read More
<https://twitter.com/WarmHeartOrg/statuses/1065973106701942785>
Get your own email signature
<https://www.wisestamp.com/signature-in-email?utm_source=promotion&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=get_your_own>

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 4:00 PM Tomaso Bertoli <tomaso.bertoli@gmail.com>
wrote:

In my opinion

Michael … Block chain is not a solution … you are

You are the only one that can certify that the farmers you work with
actually invest their time and money to collect biomass and prepare biochar
to use in the soil or to sell in the market

Well … you are not really the only one but the first step is to have an
Authority with boots on the ground to certify that a process happened and
credits were generated … this is the part that has more risk for the whole
system

If the system becomes too complicated and expensive because only a
banker on wall street can do it the system fails and we are back to square
one

If the system becomes too simple and people cheat generating credits,
the system back fires and fails again

Blockchain, for what I understand, comes in after you … you log in into
a site and certify that amount of biomass was converted in biochar
generating a X CO2 carbon credits … from that moment onwards blockchain
keeps track of what happens of those X CO2 … how they are sold and
accumulated by a cement factory or airline company that needs an offset

At COP24 we need to ask first and foremost that the process becomes
eligible and that internationally accredited volunteer organizations can
register as primary certifier agents of Carbon Credit Generation

It’s time to bold and change the rules of the planet

Tomaso