Re: Blockchain, biochar, and COP24 RE: Natural Climate Solutions for the US--Major New Paper Endorses Bioch

d.michael.shafer@gmail.com

Again, very much agreed. I do understand all of Rick's concerns, but still
believe that in general - and, yes, this is a broad phrase, the potential
benefits far outweigh the risks. In SEA, for example, more the 50% of the
soils are Arcrisols (Ferrisols), which means that farmers have a 50% chance
of farming land that is normally classified as not arable. (The best land
available around us has a pH of about 5.5, most runs between 4 and 4.5. The
risk of adding high pH biochar to high pH soils if surpassingly small.
Likewise, at these pHs, Al poisoning is already a serious problem and
raising soil pH with homemade biochar is the only feasible way for poor
farmers to deal with it.)

At any rate, whatever the logic of verification, I am afraid that it is
here. As someone pointed out, the US has already had more than 300 mass
shootings but nobody will discuss regulating anything related to guns, but
the FDA is willing to ban romaine lettuce after 18 people get sick.
Whatever.

And as for the FAO, I am not holding my breath. Last time I talked to them,
they told me to come back when my system was commercially profitable. So it
goes, as Billy Pilgrim would have said.

Michael Shafer
www.warmheartworldwide.org
www.twitter.com/warmheartorg
http://www.facebook.com/warmheartworldwide
<http://www.youtube.com/warmheartvideo>

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 4:13 PM Tomaso Bertoli <tomaso.bertoli@gmail.com>
wrote:

Let’s try not to be “more royalist than the king” if this Italian saying
makes any sense to you

We already self-imposed very expensive and time consuming testing
protocols to measure PAHs, Dioxins, PCBs, heavy metals and other pollutants
in Biochar

Can you imagine programs replacing old light bulbs with new led lights
really taking a time stamped video of the operator actually replacing the
bulb ?

Can you imagine taking time stamps on planting trees and going back time
after time to make sure the tree was not stolen and “planted” again and
again and again ?

In my (not so :-) humble opinion trust and certification of the
organization collecting the data is the first and foremost important aspect
of the operation

In these days I’m at the https://www.wfuf2018.com/ with a poster
promoting pyro-gassification of Biomass from Urban forests into Bioenergy
and Biochar

If FAO starts a program and certifies that X stoves where used to a
certain level people ought to believe that on average that happened

The same for Warm Heart, your organization should be (en)trusted with the
monitoring

Did I mention that the current estimated external value (ecosystemic
value) of sequestering a ton of CO2 in Europe is at about 100€ ?

Volunteer organization, small farmers, coops, disadvantaged employment
agencies and municipalities could go a long way if those externalities were
paid out

Tomaso