Re: Trough burning #technology

d.michael.shafer@gmail.com

A trough is mobile. (Well, you can drag it around.) Here in Thailand, we keep five of them in circulation among a group of burners. (Big, 2,000 l. jobs.) They use them for orchard tree prunings. The troughs get shared day to day, but seldom, if ever, team to team.

As far as I know, no one in Africa is using a trough. Too costly, requires skills and electrical power not found in villages.

Farmers are using trenches. They each dig as many as they can use. In many cases, farmers collect stalks to burn just before the rains (having left them out for livestock). They then dig their trenches immediately adjacent to the pile.

Where a village is sharing roofing sheets or a farmer has only so many, the number may limit the number of trenches. Since kicking dirt into the trench works fine, too, farmers who want to get on with it may dig and dig and dig.

No idea how much individual farmers make and use. Too early to tell. May end up depending on feedstock. The farms are very small. Apparently, it is not uncommon to have only enough cob for two months of fuel. If farmers char stalk and cob, they might have 1.5 tonnes of biomass. At 20% (generously) they might end up with 250-300 kg of char. If their farm is just 4-5 acres (2 ha or 20,000 m2), then if they plant by hand (9 holes per m 2) then their biochar yield should allow them to use about 100 g of char per hole. Mixed with a healthy dose of organic matter, this ought to give their crops a nice kick. (Remember: the worse the soil, the bigger the boost.)

We would actually recommend using half this amount of char, doubling the organic matter and doubling the number of holes (18 not 9). Under normal (African) circumstances, this should literally double crop size and then some.

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019, 1:52 AM Tom Miles <tmiles@...> wrote:

Michael,

In Malawi how many farmers can one pit serve? Or does each farmer dig his own pit?

How much biochar does an individual farmer make and use in a year?

The same question for troughs. Is one trough used by more than one farmer?

Thanks

Tom