Re: Waste cardboard, paper, newspaper, as feedstock #feedstock

Ron Larson

Shaked From:   cc list

You have raised some interesting new TLUD  issues with the four photos given in your message below.

Your “here” in the text refers back to Josh Kearns who has done much of the best work with improving water quality through “Aqueous Solutions”.  You have found it better apparently to not use the upper 200 liter “chimney”.  Any comments on time and material savings for your single barrel approach?

I don’t recall anyone reporting an input biomass assortment like you show.

This was your first photo - which was quite surprising to me in terms of having pieces running both vertically and horizontally.  Ever have any problems with getting an unintentional path from top to bottom through one of the rolls?   (Having a flat pyrolysis front?)

Are you satisfied with the quality of the char made from cardboard and (I presume) sometimes paper?

I don’t need to show the second photo, which had twigs in the center of a ring of rolled up cardboard - but here looking much more uniform..  Same questions on running OK always?

In this third photo, are the whitish pieces bones that you threw in before starting the next run?
The intent was mainly to to show the size and spring of the air holes?
Do the bones come out quite black?  Brittle enough to break apart??

Thanks for sharing this new (to me) loading approach.

I’m envious of the scene in the fourth photo.

To the rest of the biochar list - anyone else?

Ron

On Dec 20, 2019, at 1:05 AM, Shaked From <shakedfrom@...> wrote:

Thank you for the information and references.

just as a side track, my method of charing the materials described has been as in the pictures below:
The kiln I have used is based on the design found here which showed a very clean burn with hardly any visible smoke, very good draw and perfectly charred material.
(I hope this method of placing the pictures in the text box is going to work)
<A77FCBD5-7436-4CFE-AD7B-965FF91DB2B1.jpeg><44E372F0-1DA5-4F75-8628-F59B5D2AF70C.jpeg><5285E853-8ED5-442F-BA6C-24B8B9975059.jpeg><43CE22A9-F9AA-4297-8171-F8466CF92536.jpeg>