Re: Waste cardboard, paper, newspaper, as feedstock #feedstock

Thomas Vincent

Hello,

I would not worry too much about toxicity. As others have noted, modern inks are usually soy based. Paint and preservatives in wood are another matter entirely.

If you are happy with the char you get, that’s great. Speaking for myself the few times I have tried to make biochar from paper and cardboard I have been very disappointed. At normal biochar temperatures paper and cardboard seem to result in both high levels of ash and lots of unburnt material. When quenched, the resulting mixtures that I get from paper are usually a wet gooey, sloppy mess.

That being said, I LOVE cardboard as a sheet mulch and weed barrier. My compost worms love soggy cardboard too. 😄