Re: Powbrook Avocado tallies 35% Increase in Fruit from Biochar Amended Orchard #compost #avocado #application #patent

Stephen Joseph

Hi Tom

Spot on.

Will let everyone see the paper when reviewed and accepted.

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 3:14 PM Tom Miles <tmiles@...> wrote:

Repetitio est mater studiorum, repetition is the mother of study, as they taught us in elementary Latin. I will repeat what I described earlier as the system that Doug Pow created which uses biochar as an important component. He described the system during our study tour at the Australia New Zealand Biochar Conference.  Kathy and Stephen can correct me If I have missed important details.

Doug grows avocados on his farm in Western Australia. He has a clayey soil and wanted to modify the soil to be more like the volcanic soils where the variety of avocado that he grows comes from. So he created a system in which he uses biochar to increase the porosity; chicken manure to provide nutrients; wood chips to compost the chicken manure; and a watering system that provides small amounts of water frequently instead of large amounts less frequently. He uses a commercial grade road grader to remove and set aside 300-600 mm of soil. He then uses a dump truck with a vibrator, normally used for spreading salt on roads, to lay down a uniform layer of biochar. He then uses the road grader to replace the removed soil. He uses a roto hoe to blend the biochar into the soil. Then he lays down the wood chips, chicken manure and  the irrigation system. Trees are spaced 4.5 meters apart in rows spaced 9 meters apart.

The composting chicken manure charges the biochar amended soils which feeds the roots of the avocado trees. By watering less, more frequently he charges the soil with enough water for the trees without saturating them or letting a lot of water pond and evaporate. The result is shorter trees that are more full, with abundant roots and have twice the number of fruit compared with the control. From the sampling of 36 (of 1000 ) trees that have been amended with biochar the yield improvement is 35% by weight. There are 1000 trees in the control

He intends to amend another 1000 trees. For existing trees he uses the same road grader (which he rents because it is fast and efficient) and cuts a wedge in below the drip line of the trees. He fills the wedge with biochar and uses the roto hoe to blend the biochar in with the soil. Then he applies the chicken manure and wood chips and irrigation system. He gets similar growth results.

Between the rows wander his 100 cows which he maintains to keep the rows clean between the avocado trees. He buys glycerin from a local biodiesel plant (because it is cheaper than molasses) as a sweetener and mixes it with biochar. The cows eat the biochar free choice. As they eat the grass between the rows of avocado trees they drop their manure. The manure is consumed buy dung beetles which drag the biochar enhanced manure down into the soil. His dung beetles are another story that you will find on the web. He showed us an amazing video on 5,000 dung beetles working on one cow pat.

He has shown his system to countless farmers in the region. Now all the stone fruit farmers are using biochar in a similar fashion. The 4,000 tons per year of biochar available from the silicon plant is exhausted, although they will be increasing their charcoal production next year by 50%.

The lesson is that the biochar has been incorporated as one component into an agronomic system that works with Doug’s soils and avocados. It also works for may other orchard growers in the area. Healthier soil, less watering, more fruit. The healthier trees resist disease. He uses no pesticides or herbicides on a regular basis, only small amounts strategically.

Tom