Re: Fix the Fertilty Cycle #biosolids #terrapretasanitation

Francesco Tortorici

Trevor,

Yes, washing biochar will lower the PH.  I deal with a biochar that is the bi-prooduct of a 100 year old steam boiler.  The design of the boiler is that the biochar is quenched in a water bath.  It has a PH of approximately 8.4.

Francesco

We know more about the stars overhead than the soil underfoot.
Leonardo Da Vinci

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 10:05 PM Trevor Richards <trevor@...> wrote:
Washing biochar to remove ash?

On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 at 14:00, Laurent Chabanne via Groups.Io <laurentbiochar=yahoo.fr@groups.io> wrote:
Paul,

to acidify biochar, you can use any acid (probably organic acids are the easiest to manage, but any acid would do and inorganic might be cheaper).

Once in the soil, the classical technique of adding sulfur, which bacteria will transform in sulfuric acid, would probably be the easiest thing to correct the pH.

I wonder what sort of pH biochar-mineral-organic display. Stephen?

Laurent