Re: Natural Resources Conservation Service -- CONSERVATION PRACTICE STANDARD SOIL CARBON AMENDMENT #nrcs #carbon #amendment

ALAN PAGE

Hi Tom,
I am impressed by the range of things that the western end of the biochar group has been able to accomplish. You have described parts of the system that I have not found. The requirement that a group be represented by someone who can attend all meetings may provide some guarantee of the stability of that group, but it also limits participation to the more closely connected financial portion of an area of interest. This is what our government has become: of the Financially Connected (FC), for the FC, by the FC. In this area FCtion seems to equate to greed and corruption as well as having the time to be there at the right time (wherever "there" is).

The State Conservationist (now retired) and I shared a call to Eunice Padley, the NRCS National Forester several years ago and were told that a forest management plan should be the basis for setting the standards and frequency of practice application, but the local state committee would not allow that to happen and while the field people could recognize a needed practice and authorize the entry into a competitive grant pool, they could not allow the practitioner to state that the practice fit the management plan rather than the state standards. So you could only get paid for work done by perjuring oneself. This is garbage and I fear that the standards that are being approved for biochar will be so restrictive that local systems will be excluded from application where funding is needed. This benefits the large entities that can stock inventories of standard products. So I am not likely to even try to follow the dialogue until the financial control system is revamped. The Future Proves the Past.
Alan C. Page, Ph.D., Research Forester - MA License #184
Green Diamond Systems
125 Blue Meadow Road
Belchertown, MA 01007

Phone: 413-323-4401