Re: Different purposes. RE: [Biochar] How to Calculate the #feed

Geoff Thomas

Albert, - Stephen Joseph is a grown and intelligent human, quite capable of looking after himself, and as a Designer, - as you can imagine, - I just about live on Google.
The reason I got more accurate results than you (at least I got daily methane production per cow) is probably because i searched for ‘feeding cows Charcaol', whereas it seems you used ‘feeding cows biochar’, - based no doubt on that incorrect and harmful definition of some German group of Biochar, being ‘anything not about to be burnt', so therefore Diamonds are biochar.
Ta, btw for providing me with the source for that piece of idiocy in your final link, although knowing the Deutch, I suspect it was in a very different context for eg, 'The Hanover Principles' as explained by Bill McDonough, concerning the Principle "Respect Relationships between Spirit and Matter” un-acceptable at place 8, and also not at place 5, but fine at place 3, see at 20 minutes and 58 seconds on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ1dECu5sSc
 - btw, you could consider watching the whole talk, at least you would have a better understanding of Designers.

So that definition of biochar, in the link you provided, where anything made out of carbon including diamonds and radiation riddled DDT absorbed by charcoal in a toxin removal usage, is called Biochar, makes it very hard to use the Scientific Method.
To use an example from another of your links, they had Biochar with added Nitrogen, - doesn’t any biochar, - or at least chemichar, have nitrogen in it? - it just shows the problem, - anything called Biochar can have anything in it.

What Stephen was concerned about was the lack of the specific research, and that most research was in vitro, ie in a test tube, so results were only extrapolated, and he felt that he would do much more exact research if he could get funded, the which he mentioned more than once.

I would think that the least requirement would be for a large, say 40 cows, sealed and temperature controlled shed, with top of the line gas meters particularly sensitive to methane and derivatives on the input and out put plus ability to vary the intake volume and measure the output volume , - where all the animals could be subjected to various dietary intakes and charcoal intakes with various additions also.
Even better if each cow was constantly weighed, and the hosed out amalgamated daily sludge (perhaps separatable, so to several smaller groups,) subjected to a range of tests.
Such a research building would not need a control group.
I once designed an air conditioned battery storage room, which contained an 800 volt DC battery bank, - 340 of 500 ampere/hour 2 volt cells, totally fail safe under a dozen or so Parameters, - the outside temperature being 30 degrees C, would have halved the $200,000 battery bank life so the fuss was economic.
It had to get past a panel of stony faced engineers and politicians so every jot and tittle had to be perfect, and there was a $340,000. Grant riding on it, I had even the Danger Explosion sign writen also in the local Yolngu language.

So, Stephen would need some pretty decent funding.

Cheers,
Geoff Thomas.

On 28 Feb 2020, at 9:05 am, Albert Bates <albert@...> wrote:

Geoff you could have easily have done this and given Joey a break. It is called Google.

Leng, R. A., Sangkhom Inthapanya, and T. R. Preston. "Methane production is reduced in an in vitro incubation when the rumen fluid is taken from cattle that previously received biochar in their diet." Gas 1050, no. 1488 (2012): 1367. https://lrrd.cipav.org.co/lrrd24/11/sang24211.htm

Leng, R. A., T. R. Preston, and Sangkhom Inthapanya. "Biochar reduces enteric methane and improves growth and feed conversion in local “Yellow” cattle fed cassava root chips and fresh cassava foliage." Livestock Research for Rural Development 24, no. 11 (2012). https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/7497/7013a4b177b60a1207d7ba13fd054efd03a4.pdf

Leng, R. A., Sangkhom Inthapanya, and T. R. Preston. "All biochars are not equal in lowering methane production in in vitro rumen incubations." in vitro 12, no. 12 (2013): 12. https://www.lrrd.cipav.org.co/lrrd25/6/leng25106.htm

Schmidt, Hans-Peter, Nikolas Hagemann, Kathleen Draper, and Claudia Kammann. "The use of biochar in animal feeding." PeerJ 7 (2019): e7373. https://peerj.com/articles/7373/

On 2/26/20 9:28 PM, Geoff Thomas wrote:
Rong Lengs articles on use of biochar to reduce methane in cows
--
Cool Lab Belize Project Office
Gonzalo Guerrero 5