From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> On Behalf Of nando@...
Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2020 2:34 PM
To: main@Biochar.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Biochar] Biomethane Report - California #bioenergy #AD

On Sun, Mar 1, 2020 at 03:17 PM, Ron Larson wrote:

I haven’t heard much of your own recent biochar work.  What’s happening for you?

We're developing a horizontal bed kiln, the prototype is nearly ready for testing in upstate New York -> http://biochar.info/?p=en.horizontal_bed_kiln
It's generating a lot of regional interest. John Schwarz informs me that he is running from one meeting to the next.

At the moment, I'm translating the documentation for the Stockholm biochar urban plant bed project from Swedish into English to place here
http://biochar.info/?p=en.biochar_urban_landscapes (text is also on the way) as part of a general effort to document a variety of biochar / wood vinegar scenarios as completely as I can. I was in Stockholm to see this project first hand and was very impressed to see how successful it is. I'm informed that it is being replicated in other part of Sweden, particularly in Uppsala (just north of Stockholm), where they are using the biochar structural soil under the roads to increase the storm water retention capacity to 100 year floods. I hope that having the documentation and construction drawings will help other cities to replicate this project.

AD systems are on my list to research more fully, particularly as we have a dairy farm with a digester 4 miles away from the plant location. We already have an AD research project in the planning stage with someone at Cornell, which is also close to the plant location.

So far, I've managed to read "A review of biochar properties and their roles in mitigating challenges with anaerobic digestion" (very good paper)  https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2018.12.048
and "Biochar increases biogas production in a batch digester charged with cattle manure" http://www.lrrd.org/lrrd24/12/sang24212.htm

So, back to translating ...

--