Re: --- Horizontal bed kiln #kiln

Mark Ludlow

Thank You, very much, Nando!

Mark

From: main@biochar.groups.io on behalf of Paul S Anderson <psanders@...>
Sent: Wednesday, March 4, 2020 3:00 PM
To: main@biochar.groups.io; Nando
Cc: Anderson, Paul
Subject: Re: [Biochar] --- Horizontal bed kiln

Nando,

It has been many years since we corresponded directly about pyrolysis and TLUD cookstoves.   It seems that you have been very very busy and with substantial results.

Without giving away any sensitive information, could you please provide a bit more info than what is on your excellent website:

http://biochar.info/?p=en.horizontal_bed_kiln    (or point me to where that info is at.)

You wrote:

Our base capacity unit will process about 550 kgs of wood chip per hour (dry weight basis) 690 kgs @ 20% moisture content, producing 170 liters of dilute wood vinegar (4% acetic acid), 165 kgs of char, and 500 kw of chemical energy in the syngas stream.

1.  That is about a half ton of dry chips or 2/3rd ton of air-dried chips per hour.  Could be 12 to 16 tons per 24 hour continuous operation.   With 20% biochar yield, that would be 2.4 to 3.2 t of biochar per full day.

I assume that  there is a moving drag-chain.  Do you sometimes stop the  movement if sensors indicate?

2.  About the chemical energy in the syngas stream, I assume that the “raw” gases coming off of the final chamber (the pyrolysis area) are essentially woodgas (without much moisture because of the two previous sections).   The clean-up of woodgas to become a syngas stream is  important, but it is not the fundamental processing done by your horizontal bed kin (Or is it?)   Can you please tell us more about getting those off-gases into good condition to run engines for electricity generation?  (or simply say that you have a proprietary process.)

3.  Please give some indication of costs of fabrication (prototype costs vs. expected line-production costs will be quite different;  a range would be userful).   My purpose is to have your system in some general “ballpark” range.   Multi-millions of dollars per unit is far different from “under $800,000”  or some other guideline/target.   This can then be contrasted with the costs of rotary kilns.  Thank you for pointing out the major differences with rotary kiln.

Disregard any questions that are too sensitive to discuss.

Congratulations!!!   And best wishes for success.    Can your first unit be visited in upstate New York?   (as of when?)

Exec. Dir. of Juntos Energy Solutions NFP

     Go to: www.JuntosNFP.org  to support woodgas (TLUD) projects

     incl. purchase of Woodgas Emission Reduction (WER) carbon credits

     and please tell you friends about these distinctive service efforts.

     with pages 88 – 94 about  solving the world crisis for clean cookstoves.