Re: Batch kiln #kiln

d.michael.shafer@gmail.com

Jess,

This is quite a confusing post in terms of exactly what you want to do and what exactly the problem is.
  • What volume of char do you want to produce say weekly?
  • What do you want to do this for? Do you want to be able to sell the char? Impress upon people that making biochar for sale is a viable business idea? What is the point?
  • What do you mean when you say that you have no locally available feedstocks? Where exactly are you located? What is available? (Are there really no businesses producing waste streams you can tap? No town/city parks departments with dead branches to deal with?)
  • When you say that you had/have a Kontiki, is that the volume machine you are looking for? Would you like more than one? Note: the type of feedstock you are working with should define the technology - troughs (flame caps) work great for stalks and branches, TLUDs are perfect for maize cobs and chunks or wood or really big chips. Both will run fine in the 450-500 C range. The 650+ is out of my experience. Both troughs and TLUDs are super easy to move.)
  • Do you have a research statement? How about a simple hypothesis that you are testing?

The better you can think through what it is you want to achieve and the more clearly you can articulate it, the more we will be able to do to help.

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 1:13 PM Jessica Lunsford <enviroagjess@...> wrote:
Hi Biochar Team,

Long time background observer and first time poster here. I need your help.

I am a Master student at a university on the south island of New Zealand. My degree is going to be in applied soil (and climate) science.  The current situation is such that if I wanted to, I could get a hold of kontiki biochar made of woody feedstock with my own efforts. Quite surprisingly, there isn't anyone who can provide it to me in large quantities, or if so, it's one type of boiler ash. There is also a current demand in the market for biochar and I am regularly approached, which is exciting but frustrating. I don't live on a property with feedstock, even if I wanted to get into the production side. The timing is poor to have this 'scarcity dilemma' because I am now entering my research year. It's prime time to show the potential to interested parties in experimental design not production methods. This to be a real problem now that I get further into my research. I need various types of biochar,  in large quantities, very quickly.

What sort of batch kiln technology can I potentially get out here and at what price range? I need something  reaching 450-500 degrees C for non woody feedstocks like manures, food processing wastes and crop residues. I also would like another kiln that reaches higher temperatures 650+, but something that can take pine chips. Ideally these would both mobile enough to transport on a trailer if I had to. Just trying to figure out if this is possible to raise funds in a short time, or if I need to come up with another plan.

Running out of time to read a million posts down the rabbit hole...so thank you for your input.

Yous Sincerely,
Jessica Lunsford