Re: [usbiochar] New Research Article on Forest C Sequestration vs. Bioenergy #bioenergy #sequestration

Paul S Anderson

To Tom and all,

Extremely interesting.   I will leave the chemistry to the chemists.   I will comment on the lower amount of CO2 emissions, which reveal that there was less thermal energy released (assuming quite complete combustion of a lesser amount of pyrolytic gases).

If standard pyrolysis has a 20% weight yield of charcoal, and if the “50%-ash-added” pyrolysis had a 78% increase in biochar carbon, then  0.78 x 20% is 15.6%, giving a total of 35.6% weight yield of charcoal.

In conditions where the components (biomass and ash) are in supply, and where there is no useful value for the released thermal energy, this could make the difference between making a profit or not from the biochar.

This experience (and others similarly structured) should be replicated, and if successful, should be considered for commercial applications.

But what do the chemists say about the process?   And does the 450 deg C biochar have the desired characteristics for adsorption, water retention, pH, etc?   Making more of what might not as good is not progress.   Much still needs to be known.

Exec. Dir. of Juntos Energy Solutions NFP

     Go to: www.JuntosNFP.org  to support woodgas (TLUD) projects

     incl. purchase of Woodgas Emission Reduction (WER) carbon credits

     and please tell you friends about these distinctive service efforts.

     with pages 88 – 94 about  solving the world crisis for clean cookstoves.