Re: [New post] The Healthy Soils Program benefits organic producers! #organic

Teel, Wayne

Rick and all,

I like your images.  As a professor/teacher I love to use things like this in classes, so consider this my asking permission to do so.  I won’t use them this year.  Classes are only on line now and we are not even allowed to meet with students because of Covid-19.  Even though $50 is not that much, when you add in the tipping fees saved from both the woody biomass and kitchen/grocery waste (just coffee grounds alone in a city) the dollars add up even before you sell the product.  I have a student working at a local farm associated with a retirement community, and that community sends all their organic waste to the farm.  We are charring the woody biomass using a flame-cap device like the ones Kelpie Wilson describes and then they compost it.  This season it will be the source of nutrient for the farm, whose produce all goes back to the kitchens of the retirement community.  Same kind of cycle you are describing, just that the scale is much smaller and the product is not for sale at the end.  Unfortunately the student is not able to complete the study because of the virus.

Wayne

From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rick Wilson via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2020 10:50 PM
To: main@Biochar.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Biochar] [New post] The Healthy Soils Program benefits organic producers!

Hi Ron,
California moves at its own pace.  But once it's in, it goes all in. 

Currently you can get paid $50 per DRY ton for co-composted biochar with the CDFA grants. 
A gasifier char, which is dry, will have a density of #10 per cubic foot, which is 270# per cubic yard. 
So one ton (2000#) of biochar is 7.4 cubic yards. 7.4 cubic yards/ton x $50 = $370 per cubic yard, that's a lot of money for biochar!

My understanding is that the CDFA is coming the the conclusion that biochar stabilizes organic matter.
I am told there is a Lawrence Livermore study but I have not seen it.   And there are others of course. 

I can tell you that biochar is making it into the research programs of the largest compost operators in the state. 
(And they are calling me to help them)

Please see the attached drawings, which is how I am telling them the story of biochar and compost, and where the waste companies fit in. 
These are copyright protected, but I am happy to grant access as long as I know where they are being used (not to compete against me, but with me).

Rick

Join main@Biochar.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.