Re: biochar induced biota biomass #biota

Thomas Casten

Look at Chapter 8 of an Ebook cited in attached excerpt dealing with biochar impact on changes in soil organic carbon
In summary, meta-studies found a mean 3.8% per year increase in SOC but values included 0 within 95% confidence range. Longer-term studies show a 15% SOC increase with BC, but the results depend on the BC characteristics and soil, so more research is needed.
Everyone should be aware that the portion of this chapter dealing with the impact on climate change notes the impact of biochar on reducing CH4 and N20 emissions, but uses the 100-year CO2 equivalence, which seriously understates the reduction of near-term radiative forcing. Studies show BC addition to compost and to manure reduces CH4 emissions, but use of 100-year CO2 equivalence of 25 understates the impact of reduced CH4 by 70% versus 10-year CO2 e. This is because CH4 has a life of 12 years while CO2 takes 330 years to drop to 20% of emissions and thousands of years to completely disappear. The 100-year CO2 e of methane is 25, while the IPCC 10-year equivalence is 91.  N20, which lives 150 years, is roughly the same with a 100-yr e of 298 and 10-year e of 275.  Bottom line: correctly made biochar added to compost or manure has a major impact on radiative forcing.

Thomas R Casten
Cell: 630-915-9215
Work: 630-321-1095

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 3:15 AM Tomaso Bertoli - CISV <tomaso.bertoli@...> wrote:
did anyone attempt at "weighing" the bacteria and fungi that can grow on biochar ?

for any kg / pound of biochar added to the soil how much organic matter in the form of bacteria and fungi can we expect ?

can anyone guesstimate % of biomass weight that we can add to biochar by biocharging it with compost tea or similar approaches ?

did some google scholar searching but I guess I did not use the right keywords

thanks

Tomaso

--
Thomas R Casten