Biochar vs. methane RE: [Biochar] biochar induced biota biomass #methane #biota

Paul S Anderson

Tom,   (I hope this gets interest and comments from numerous readers interested in biochar and methane.)

I follow your presentation.   I would dissect it a little:

1.  Seek to obtain better statements of the damage of methane at several time levels:

                A.  100 years  (because that seems to be documented.   What is the 100-year CO2 equivalence of methane?)

                B.  20 years (also understood.  What is the 20-year CO2 equivalence of methane?  And also  what methods cut it’s impact off at 20 yrs instead of just running on to 100 years)?

                C.  5 years (what amount of damage / impact?   and what could cut it off at 5 years – prevent from going to 20 or 100 years?)

                D.  1 year (Same two questions: what amount of damage / impact?   and what could cut it off at 5 years – prevent from going to 20 or 100 years?)

                E.  2 months  (Same first question:    what amount of damage / impact;   But the second question (what could do the job of stopping methane at 2 months) becomes a research topic about the impact of biochar into manure or other methane sources.  )

                F.  Zero months:   (What WOULD have been the damage IF the methane had been released?    And the second question is how much methane reduction  can occur from proper feeding of biochar to cattle?)

2.  Concerning the quick capture (such as 2 months) or the avoidance of production (zero months) of methane, do we have quality data about how much methane can be “intercepted” at the different time levels?   And what is the ultimate outcome regarding the methane:  such as delayed release, or “the bacteria ate it”  or something else?

3.  Combine 1 and 2 and make some clear statements (or clear research hypotheses).   Main question is:   What is the quantitative value of biochar (in CO2e units) when it is targeting methane in different scenarios of usage?

4.  I suggest that there be no references to NOx because it leads to overload and sidetracking of the discussion.   If necessary, let NOx have its own discussion regarding biochar.

Exec. Dir. of Juntos Energy Solutions NFP

     Go to: www.JuntosNFP.org  to support woodgas (TLUD) projects

     incl. purchase of Woodgas Emission Reduction (WER) carbon credits

     and please tell you friends about these distinctive service efforts.

     with pages 88 – 94 about  solving the world crisis for clean cookstoves.