Re: Biochar vs. methane RE: [Biochar] biochar induced biota biomass #methane #biota

Trevor Richards

Screenshot 2020-03-29 10.52.08.png
Paul, Jeoff,
The image above is from a presentation from Harry Clark, leader of the NZ Greenhouse Gas Research Centre.

He discusses the issue on Methane / CO2 comparison from Min.44:30 in the 1st video session linked here:

Do you think he has done a reasonable job explaining the issue. Also note his reasoning for 100yr selection.

On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 at 07:32, Geoff Thomas <wind@...> wrote:
Hi Paul, good to see this point discussed, the only reference I found was in a  discussion in which one seeming expert claimed the minimum was 14 years, but 20 would be more common, - that discussion did not remain  - actually I thought it was on this list?

The possibility of 14 was why I chose 3 times the effect of the carbon dioxide in my press release on the Cow Biochar, ie 14 times 90, - 90 being the figure by given by several on how much more harmful a green house gas methane is than carbon dioxide, so that is my assumption that for 14 years the methane is having 90 times the effect of the carbon dioxide, but what does that figure of 1260 then mean? - the carbon dioxide will have the same effect at 1260 years?
That carbon dioxide in the atmosphere lasts more than 100 years is often asserted, but not 1260 years.
Certainly we need a lot more accurate figures, preferably backed up by proper research.

At the moment,  assuming the Coronavirus is contained well short of destroying our civilisation, (not guaranteed by some inept politicians) Methane emissions will continue increasing for many years, particularly from melting permafrost, although there are techniques being developed to halt that, but feeding cows charcoal and stopping fracking should reduce it severely, so 14 years after that the Warming effects from Methane should reduce dramatically, - all else being equal.

Of course stopping the fracking before much of the worlds aquifers are severely damaged is another issue, but probably can only happen when the build out  of Renewable energy is large enough to put fracking out of business, - as it has done with much coal fired electricity  generation.

On 29 Mar 2020, at 7:06 am, Paul S Anderson <psanders@...> wrote:

Tom,   (I hope this gets interest and comments from numerous readers interested in biochar and methane.)

I follow your presentation.   I would dissect it a little:

1.  Seek to obtain better statements of the damage of methane at several time levels:
                A.  100 years  (because that seems to be documented.   What is the 100-year CO2 equivalence of methane?)
                B.  20 years (also understood.  What is the 20-year CO2 equivalence of methane?  And also  what methods cut it’s impact off at 20 yrs instead of just running on to 100 years)?
                C.  5 years (what amount of damage / impact?   and what could cut it off at 5 years – prevent from going to 20 or 100 years?)
                D.  1 year (Same two questions: what amount of damage / impact?   and what could cut it off at 5 years – prevent from going to 20 or 100 years?)
                E.  2 months  (Same first question:    what amount of damage / impact;   But the second question (what could do the job of stopping methane at 2 months) becomes a research topic about the impact of biochar into manure or other methane sources.  )
                F.  Zero months:   (What WOULD have been the damage IF the methane had been released?    And the second question is how much methane reduction  can occur from proper feeding of biochar to cattle?)

2.  Concerning the quick capture (such as 2 months) or the avoidance of production (zero months) of methane, do we have quality data about how much methane can be “intercepted” at the different time levels?   And what is the ultimate outcome regarding the methane:  such as delayed release, or “the bacteria ate it”  or something else?

3.  Combine 1 and 2 and make some clear statements (or clear research hypotheses).   Main question is:   What is the quantitative value of biochar (in CO2e units) when it is targeting methane in different scenarios of usage?

4.  I suggest that there be no references to NOx because it leads to overload and sidetracking of the discussion.   If necessary, let NOx have its own discussion regarding biochar.

Paul

Doc / Dr TLUD / Paul S. Anderson, PhD --- Website:   www.drtlud.com
     Email:  psanders@...       Skype:   paultlud
Exec. Dir. of Juntos Energy Solutions NFP
     Go to: www.JuntosNFP.org  to support woodgas (TLUD) projects
     incl. purchase of Woodgas Emission Reduction (WER) carbon credits
     and please tell you friends about these distinctive service efforts.
Author of “A Capitalist Carol” (free digital copies at www.capitalism21.org)
     with pages 88 – 94 about  solving the world crisis for clean cookstoves.