Re: Forests: Carbon sequestration, biomass energy, or both? - New paper #carbonsequestration

A carbon sink, for example, of deciduous trees, comes with a lot of rules.  You have to quantify the footprint you create to manage and grow it, or keep it healthy.  (ISO 14064 operatives) Understory is supposed to be kept at 4 or less inches length.  So emissions to do so are subtracted from the final outcome.  I grew a type of trees that come with a nasty fungus, or rust problem.  Gathering leaves eliminates the problem totally.  At my establishment, those leaves are then composted, biochar added, along with liquid dairy manure to expedite procedure.   It works for me.  Is that all a good idea?  It is not for me to say, but it is the planet friendliest method I am able to muster so far.  I am always hand gathering broken branches, (from bears climbing) chipping and then cooking them. Your comment makes me wonder as well.  I have never cooked leaves to get an answer.  I find wood is basically 1/5 carbon.   Leaves are probably similar, but how much CO2 do they emit in natural conditions?  I will guess the GHG Advisor takes that into account for final calculations.

Cheers
David

David R Derbowka

Passive Remediation Systems Ltd.
Tel: +1 250 306 6377 |
eMail: david.derbowka@... |Web: prsi.ca |

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 5:46 AM Roger Faulkner via groups.io <roger_rethinker=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Something that I have puzzled about 4 years is how much of the total carbon taken in by plants during a growing season is shed in there dying deciduous leaves? If one had a forest in which the Dead leaves were converted to biochar how much of a difference would that make in terms of permits permanent sequestration

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 3:18 PM, David R Derbowka
Greetings
If every farmer made a three or so hedge row deep of "hard working" (trees, or hemp, or bamboo...whatever) along side the usual food production area of land available, an Earthly "balance" might be achieved at each location of "carbon farming" participants.  A professional cooker outfit could cook the year's production for the farmer.   OR, the farmer would possibly choose to do kon-tiki or whatever for themselves.  But a cooker machine portable, may commence trade deals for those who choose.

But education has to happen.      I know that here in Canada a portable unit is now available. (Expensive) In the meanwhile, I focus on building products privately.  There are a gargantuan batch of opportunities existing, certainly if one considers "organic" building products.

I say this to get us out of the forest. (logistics and tfl [tree farm licence] owners really don't want us in their faces.) I say this too, to protect farm lands.  I say this to share with everyone a perhaps doable, shared opportunity.

The big picture regarding climate change translates to me, that farmers have the ball in their court.   And we all agree; "biochar could help save the world".   Starting at the ground; the sun needs greenery to shine upon, so, observations are what leads me to say what I share.

Cheers
David R Derbowka

David R Derbowka  | CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER |