Re: Forests: Carbon sequestration, biomass energy, or both? - New paper #carbonsequestration

Paul S Anderson

Geoff,

How well do these numbers fit with your calculations (in your message below)

“Every year, plants convert 4,500 EJ of solar energy and  120 Giga Tonnes of carbon [= 439 Gt CO2] from the atmosphere into [ ~240 Gt of new] biomass – eight times as much as the global energy need.” (https://worldbioenergy.org/uploads/Factsheet_Biomass%20potential.pdf , 2016).  That same document identified the global composition of annual biomass supply in 2012 to be 56 EJ of biomass energy [about 29 Gt of biomass], with an expected near- tripling to 150 EJ by 2035 [~85 Gt of biomass].

The above is from the WBA (World Bioenergy Association) in 2016.

Inventor of RoCC kilns for biochar and energy:  See  www.woodgas.com