Re: Forests: Carbon sequestration, biomass energy, or both? - New paper #carbonsequestration

Roger Faulkner

It is very interesting to me that you have to remove the leaves to prevent the fungus infection of the trees. I bet you that making biochar out of the leaves would be valuable.

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 4:37 AM, Tomaso Bertoli - CISV
<tomaso.bertoli@...> wrote:

David et al

Wood is 1/2 (50%) Carbon not 1/5 (20%)

Arundo donax is 42 % C – small branches and leaves have 45% - 48% Carbon and more ashes compared to solid wood

Regarding the quality and yearly production of foliage we have quite a bit of research in Italy, it was a traditional harvest in poorer areas

There is obviously a great variation among different species and with size – a good starting point is 3% of the total biomass of the trees (including roots)

Attachments

  • Chapter 11 comes from Washington State University  http://www.ruraltech.org/
  • How Carbon is Stored © Forest and Wood Products Australia Written by Andrea Jane Leys PhD for Forest Learning
  • Forest@ Copyright © by the Italian Society of Silviculture and Forest Ecology.

Good reading in this odd time of quarantine

Tomaso