Re: Forests: Carbon sequestration, biomass energy, or both? - New paper #carbonsequestration

It's tricky understanding this planet's "inner/outer workings".  I think it's a lot smarter than we.   But my observations, have often proved to be a bell weather in my wee world.  That's what started me to begin with.  In 1958 they started CO2 ppm measurements.  There must have been others doing observations long ago.  Sometimes, my observations fit with what we discuss.  There are so very many confusing elements; the trade winds high above are out of sync by the looks of long time patterns.  I think we should be looking at "oligotrophication", as it plays a role in my thinking. Not only have we over used resources, we have overused our soils.  So we already knew that, but for me it is all part of the largest issue: CO2, however not the worst issue.
Going back to what Allan said about forests, I believe a tree sequesters 10% to the soil, just for being a matured tree.  I'm not 100% sure on that one.  The GHG adviser may have better info. 

We have to kill a few kids before we instal a four way stop. 

David Derbowka

David R Derbowka  

Passive Remediation Systems Ltd.
Tel: +1 250 306 6377 | 
eMail: david.derbowka@... |Web: prsi.ca |

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 11:54 AM ALAN PAGE <alan@...> wrote:
HI All,
There is a site Space Weather News which has done a lot of background research about the inputs to climate forcing and come up with some very different relationships than are currently employed by the IPCC although they discuss how this is gradually changing in favor of the principles that are laid out by studies of solar and galactic and further out sources of climate forcing energies.

Their take is discussed in detail in several videos below their daily discussion of solar dynamics. A good place to start is the solar wind summary, but all of the upper row of videos are pretty self explanatory.

The take away is that human impacts have been grossly overstated, and that things are changing rapidly but not for the reasons we have been led to discuss here and elsewhere. Their point is that pollution is a major problem that we can impact with good systems. Forests are important on many levels but probably not for the global climatic stabilization discussed in this thread. The growth of forests and the possible formation of charcoal from the thinnings and upper stem portions of trees is an important function that humans should know a lot about and be able to practice and use wherever tree growth is possible.
Thus the thread is just as important as you all think it is but possibly for different reasons. Do your own research.   

Alan C. Page, Ph.D., Research Forester - MA License #184
Green Diamond Systems
125 Blue Meadow Road
Belchertown, MA 01007

Phone: 413-323-4401
Cell: 413-883-9642

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Saturday, April 4, 2020 10:03 PM, David R Derbowka <david.derbowka@...> wrote:

Hey Geoff
It's amazing the numbers you displayed.  Amazing, because it's engineering that makes our situation understandable\monatorable.  It shows off the unbalance on Earth.  We made the mess, we have the numbers, we have the ability, now, how do we open the doors of opportunity?  And will someone make mince meat out of our information?  (that's our worst enemy)   You also show me, what a marvelous being is Planet Earth.  Earth, as ever, has more gifts for us to use with our ability.

Dave Derbowka

David R Derbowka  

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 10:55 PM Geoff Thomas <wind@...> wrote:
Hi David, research I did in 2007 claimed these figures,  - "Approximately 100 billion tons of carbon circulates between the atmosphere and the approximately 750 billion ton reservoir in Land plants” .
Later I came across a claim that it was 110 billion tons, so I thought well, that’s in the ball park.

So that gives us a pretty good margin, - we don’t have to pyrolize every skerrick. 

Last I could bear to look we are throwing about 15 billion tons into the atmosphere  every  year, but of course not at this moment thanks to Coronavirus.

Nothing like getting back to Base Principles Eh.

Geoff Thomas.

On 3 Apr 2020, at 10:46 pm, Roger Faulkner via groups.io <roger_rethinker@...> wrote:

Something that I have puzzled about 4 years is how much of the total carbon taken in by plants during a growing season is shed in there dying deciduous leaves? If one had a forest in which the Dead leaves were converted to biochar how much of a difference would that make in terms of permits permanent sequestration

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 3:18 PM, David R Derbowka
Greetings
If every farmer made a three or so hedge row deep of "hard working" (trees, or hemp, or bamboo...whatever) along side the usual food production area of land available, an Earthly "balance" might be achieved at each location of "carbon farming" participants.  A professional cooker outfit could cook the year's production for the farmer.   OR, the farmer would possibly choose to do kon-tiki or whatever for themselves.  But a cooker machine portable, may commence trade deals for those who choose.

But education has to happen.      I know that here in Canada a portable unit is now available. (Expensive) In the meanwhile, I focus on building products privately.  There are a gargantuan batch of opportunities existing, certainly if one considers "organic" building products.

I say this to get us out of the forest. (logistics and tfl [tree farm licence] owners really don't want us in their faces.) I say this too, to protect farm lands.  I say this to share with everyone a perhaps doable, shared opportunity.

The big picture regarding climate change translates to me, that farmers have the ball in their court.   And we all agree; "biochar could help save the world".   Starting at the ground; the sun needs greenery to shine upon, so, observations are what leads me to say what I share.  

Cheers
David R Derbowka

David R Derbowka  | CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER |

Join main@Biochar.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.