Re: Urine/Biochar Fertilizer in Malawi #malawi #urine #seed

d.michael.shafer@gmail.com

Works fine. We wet and dry, wet and dry in hopes of increasing charge. What the hell. The sun is free.

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020, 10:30 AM Norm Baker <ntbakerphd@...> wrote:
Kevin;

Unfortunately, I do not know what remains in the liquid but I do know the biochar absorbs a lot of the N-P-K. I would have to dig back into some paperwork to report but want to reserve that for manuscript. The urine has an N-P-K of about 12:1:1 which is a little high for direct plant application.

Activation of the biochar creates the surface chemical functional groups. In my experience, allowing it to dry is a waste of time. Make the biochar, and activate it with water or urine. If you activated with water, let the excess water drain for a day and then soak it in urine. I have never activated biochar with urine, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work and load the biochar with the cations all at once.

Norm