Re: Need Help - Model for Urine/Biochar Fertilizer for Training Throughout Africa #urine #africa

Kim Chaffee

All,

I thought you all should know about the Rich Earth Institute, headquartered in Brattleboro, Vermont USA.  They are working to erase the stigma regarding human urine and feces, to improve sanitation worldwide, and to use these valuable resources for promoting world health.  Please visit their website below and watch their funny video.  Like me, you can sign up to be on their email list.  Thanks.

Kim Chaffee

From their latest email:

Annual Urine Donor Kick-Off goes virtual! April 30, 5:30 PM

Join us for our annual community gathering and a screening of the film Mr. Toilet. Before the film, we will unveil the 2019 Piss-off Contest winners. We will share our latest news at Rich Earth and let you know how you can become a urine donor if you live nearby and haven’t started collecting yet. The film screening will begin at 6:00 PM, followed by a discussion with the director, Libby Zepeda.

It’s time to break the toilet taboo! 2.6 billion people worldwide do not have access to sanitation. Join us as we uplift critical conversations about the struggle for global sanitation equity. Watch the Mr. Toilet trailer below.

Please RSVP to receive a Zoom invitation.

RSVP

Schedule:

5:30 - Welcome and Piss-off Award Ceremony

6:00 - Screening of Mr. Toilet: The World's #2 Man

7:30 - Q & A with Director Lily Zepeda

This event is free but we would welcome your donations. All proceeds for this event will support Rich Earth’s capital campaign to buy our building and secure a permanent home for urine recycling in Brattleboro.

Watch the Mr. Toilet trailor here!

What people are saying:

"Mr. Toilet reveals how bathroom humor can change the world. Jack Sim might shock people, but he’s raising awareness about sanitation issues on a global scale." ~ The Wrap

"Mr Toilet is flushed with fun." ~ FF2 Media

"The film succeeds in creating an intimate portrait of a quirky, and eccentric individual full of compassion, love and wit who uses his ingenuity and skills to create a meaningful dialogue on shit." ~ The Extra Mile

On Apr 12, 2020, at 5:16 PM, Tony Vovers <vovers1@...> wrote:

There is a cute little book- Liquid Gold. quite non-technical but covering the major points of recycling and reusing urine.
The standard recommendation is to extend the aging time for publicly sourced urine due to pharmaceuticals.

In a similar style, the Humanure Handbook will give a view of life from the other side

There is so much potential in separating and harvesting urine and humanure close to source, instead of dumping it into water, but in the western world will probably never be realized at the residential side.
Some studies claim if we could recycle "all" the urine there would be no need for any chemical fertilisers for agriculture at all. Unfortunately, the forever chemicals and the pharmaceuticals seem to be the fly in the ointment in both cases.

Tony Vovers
+62 (813) 3888 9062 (HP)

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 4:30 AM mikethewormguy via groups.io <mikethewormguy=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Kevin and Goodfellow,

You all have peaked my curiosity enough that I am going to do a Urine/Biochar/Wood Ash experiment using corn seed once the soil warms up a bit.  We are getting snow tommorrow.

We will need to know the nutrient composition of urine and wood ash, as well as, the volume of urine that Goodfellow applies to each corn plant along with the dilution factor.  With this info we can calculate how many grams of NPK plus is going into the soil via each application.

We also need to know at what leaf stage is the 1st urine applied, as well as, how often during the grow cycle and how many days between each....

In the coming days, I will be setting up an experimental plan on our Green Quest website. (  www.onagreenquest.net)....

I am planning on using very dilute urine soaked by char in the planting hole.

I will top dress the diluted urine and wood ash around the corn plant during the growing season.

I am also planning on priming the corn seed using a range of diluted urine concentrations.  The priming will improve germination and plant establishment. It will also assist with only using 1-2 seeds per hole.

I will also do some paper towel germination test to determine rootlet pushing time.

We will plan on documenting our work  on our website......

We are happy to work with folks and share information on this Amazing Gee Whiz project......

Mike

...."Do what you can with what you have right where you are at"....t.roosevelt.....