Minimal prep of biochar for gardens #garden

Kevin Chisholm <kchisholm@...>

Hi Tomaso

You raise some very good points below. See interspersed comments…

From: main@Biochar.groups.io [mailto:main@Biochar.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tomaso Bertoli - CISV
Sent: April 21, 2020 4:38 AM
To: main@Biochar.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Biochar] Minimal prep of biochar for gardens

by now it should be common knowledge that it takes time for biochar in the soil to age and develop bacteria and fungi that help plants grow

K: This makes perfect sense. However, the implications of your comment are very significant: Much of the “Biochar Research” done over the past 10 years is somewhat irrelevant because these important factors were not respected.

I believe it would be so much better to follow the “mineral fertilizer” slow release strategy and \ or the “biological activation” strategy.

K: That is certainly one “good starting approach”, particularly for a “small plot”, as a “fun thing”, where there are no significant economic consequences. There are many other approaches to such a “small test” that could be much more relevant, or significant, or helpful,  depending on the “ultimate knowledge objective.” Bear in mind that “soil modifications” can only yield “improved results” if they address a “soil deficiency.” Any “mineral fertilizer additions”, whether slow of fast release, would not result in improved results it the soil already had an adequacy of such minerals. If the soil was already “organically balanced” with a good balance of “soil life forms”, then efforts to “biologically activate the soil” would be unlikely to produce a significant improvement. Given that Paul would be starting with an “existing garden soil”, the chances are that the soil is in reasonably good condition. In that Paul wants to produce “systems that make biochar”, the results of the “example test program” could vividly demonstrate the extreme importance of “precharging” the biochar so that it did not rob the soil of existing nutrients, and it might give powerful insights into the importance, or lack thereof, of biochar size. He might find, for example, that he should modify his RoCC Biochar System to operate optimally on sawdust from sawmills.

Nevertheless, Kevin, (not a rhetorical question) what is the purpose of testing “raw” “bone dry” “off the stove” biochar ?

K: I have done such tests 12 years ago, and have shown the importance of “charging the soil” with “extra nutrients”, to avoid the problems of biochar sequestering existing nutrients. See: https://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/files/charcoal_growing_tests-chisholm.xls  Paul mentioned that he had “Miraclegrow” and biochar at hand, so such a possible test would be very easy to implement. My test set vividly demonstrated the folly of adding “biochar only” to a soil, and that the biochar and/or soil must be “pre-charged” in some manner, to get a net improvement.

Paul, if I were you

I would find more interesting testing soaking different ration of the same “mineral fertilizer” say 25% or 50% of the suggested rate and compare with the fertilizer alone.

K: The “possible test program” I outlined was intended only as an example. The key thing is: “What test information is most important to Paul?” Paul has to structure the test to give answers that are important to him. We don’t know what answers would be most important or most helpful to him. “2+2=5… the answers from the tests we propose would be correct, but the tests we propose may not answer the questions that are important to Paul.

I would find more interesting screening the biochar in half and using the finer half in one plot and coarser half in a second plot with the same rate of “fertilizer”

K: That is also a good, practical and simple test to undertake.

I would find more interesting testing \ experimenting soaking the biochar with compost tea or other “biological active mixes” rather than using a “mineral” fertilizer.

K: Another excellent test suggestion!! However, Paul must configure his tests to yield answers that are most important to him.

All the best

K:  And all the best to you! “Be well and stay well”!

Kevin

Tomaso