Re: [EXTERN] Getting recognition for Biochar as a NET was RE: [Biochar] Help regarding an article Smith 2016 #net

Tomaso Bertoli - CISV

Thanks Claudia for the very good paper !

Can you help me understand why biochar is not included among the SCS practices ?

4. SCS - soil carbon sequestration

SCS can be achieved across a range of different land uses, including cropland, grazing land, and forestry—and can be promoted by a range of practices (39). Practices that increase soil organic matter content include

(a) land use change to an ecosystem with higher-equilibrium soil carbon levels;

(b) management of vegetation, including high-input carbon practices, e.g., improved rotations, cover crops, and perennial cropping systems;

(c) nutrient management to increase plant carbon returns to the soil, e.g., through optimized fertilizer application rate, type, timing, and precision application;

(d) reduced tillage intensity and residue retention; and

(e) improved water management, including irrigation in arid conditions (40).

Below we describe how SCS can impact soil functions, NCPs, and the SDGs, with the interactions summarized in Figure 3.

In the past days we exchanged a number of sources describing how biochar has a dual effect on Soil Carbon

The first is merely “algebraic” as described in Appendix 4 Method for Estimating the Change in Mineral Soil Organic Carbon Stocks from Biochar Amendments: Basis for Future Methodological Development

19R_V4_Ch02_Ap4_Method for Mineral SOC stocks with Biochar_advance.pdf

The second is “biological” and “incremental” as described in the papers that study the negative priming and stabilizing effect of biochar in the soil that I would classify as a Soil Carbon Sequestration effects that should justify biochar addition to the list of practices for SCS in chapter 4

Soil carbon increased by twice the amount of biochar carbon applied after six years: Field evidence of negative priming

Humberto Blanco-Canqui1*, David Laird2, Emily Heaton2, Sam Rathke, and Bharat Sharma Acharya1

1Department of Agronomy and Horticulture, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE 68583, USA

Biochar built soil carbon over a decade by stabilizing rhizodeposits

Zhe (Han)Weng1,2, Lukas Van Zwieten1,3,4*, Bhupinder Pal Singh1,5, Ehsan Tavakkoli2,6, Stephen Joseph7,8,9†, Lynne M. Macdonald10, Terry J. Rose4, Michael T. Rose3, StephenW. L. Kimber3, Stephen Morris3, Daniel Cozzolino11, Joyce R. Araujo12, Braulio S. Archanjo12 and Annette Cowie1,13

1School of Environmental and Rural Science, University of New England, Armidale, New SouthWales 2351, Australia.

Also if you have any control on the list of practices that increment SCS it would be appropriate to include Holistic Grazing \ Adaptive Multi Paddock Grazing

Thank for the contribution

Tomaso