37 things you need to know about the new IPCC report: We Don't Have Time #ipcc

Kim Chaffee

All,

According to this story, the new IPCC report focuses on the need to keep the global temperature increase to 1.5 degrees C., not 2.0 C.  It compares both the consequences of the extra 0.5 C increase, as well as the actions needed to prevent it.  Several of the 37 highlights in this summary have special relevance to biochar:

"19. Methane and black carbon, both more potent greenhouse gases, will need to be cut by at least 35% by 2050, compared to 2010. But cuts in non-CO2 emissions must be made carefully. If more bioenergy is used to replace fossil fuels, it could push up climate-warming nitrous oxide pollution from agriculture."

Large scale use of biochar could significantly reduce NO2 emissions.  If by “black carbon” they mean soot from incineration, biochar be a big help there too.  See also highlights 29 thru 34, all of which, IMHO, support the scaling up of biochar.

Kim

BTW,  We Don’t Have Time bills itself as "the world largest social network for climate action”.  They could become an opinion influencer for biochar.  Does anyone know their leaders?