Accidental Wood Char #compost #flamecap

mikethewormguy

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 08:18 PM, Tom Miles wrote:

As we receive news and videos from Warm Heart International’s projects in Malawi, Kenya, and Ghana it is gratifying to see smallholders benefitting from biochar they can make themselves. Warm Heart is having a big impact with no budget and a lot of good will. Their smallholders are making biochar from corn cobs in TLUDs and maize stalks in pit kilns. They are using it with manure in their crops and feeding it to their poultry, pigs and cattle. Using crop residues for biochar instead of simply burning them provides an important resource to increase their soil and animal health, not to mention the charcoal savings. (The cooking charcoal challenge is huge in Africa. An estimated 50 million tons of charcoal is produced from 400 million tons of wood. By 2050 it is expected that they will need 115 million tons of charcoal from a billion tonnes of wood.)

Congratulations to all those who are working on biochar projects in Africa. Let’s expand those programs.

 Tom,

Below is a picture of what turned out to be accidental flame cap tree branch char.....

The fire pit is 3 feet across, 20 inches deep and lined by brick and rock.....

We did some extensive pruning of trees on Monday.  I spent about 3 hours Tuesday morning burning all of the tree trimmings in the fire pit. When I was done I burning I decided to quench the fire with water rather then let the fire burn down to ash.

By water quenching the fire, I was rewarded with a 10 inch deep pile of charred pieces of tree trimmings 3 feet across.

Today I dug the charred pieces out of the pit and I broadcasted lightly these pieces evenly over the top of the garden beds that will planted out in 30 days.  Using a shovel, I turned over the soil in the beds which brought the char pieces into the soil horizon....

Now I need to remember what I did accidentally to make this pit char.on purpose next time......
.