Re: [EXTERN] Re: [Biochar] Unfavorable research about biochar #pah

Claudia Kammann

Hi all,

I don’t know if this info is of help in your ongoing PAH discussion, but the EBC standard and methodology was based on research, done by the group of Thomas Bucheli back nearly 10 years by now.

They sorbed different PAHs (the 16 EPA PAHs) onto different biochars as substances with isotopic labelling to be able to see how much they get off the char by what method. They found the Soxhlet extraction with Toluol for 36 h to be best to get even the sticky stuff off.

I took the liberty of attaching the paper where the methods were tested – methods to see how you could really desorb all potentially harmful PAHs.

In Europe this was done to ensure that whenever there might be something that is not compliant with the soil protection regulation in Germany, Austria or Switzerland, it would be detected to make biochar application safe and compliant with the regulations. It was a conservative, precaution approach as is typical for Europe.

One can use that or dismiss it, but the work has been done already and is there to be used.

best, Claudia