Re: PAH Effects on Soil Life Forms; was: RE: [Biochar] Unfavorable research about biochar #pah

Claudia Kammann

Paul,

I think the problem is that when PAHs, in particular the higher-molecular ones that are thought to be carcinogenic, stick to a char – they stick. You won’t get them off... If there is a chance, then it would be to heat the char to the point where these molecules evaporate (and then you need to burn them, somehow).

But it may be easier to make a good batch of char in the first place then to do that....

The IBI recommended some ISO guideline tests, and O have found the earthworm avoidance test to be quite sensitive. If there is a batch with PAHs sticking to the biochar on one side of the pot, the earthworms will flee to the other half where the char is not. We saw that with hydrochar (here, the problems are phenols, not PAHs) – the earthworms are a good indicator in this standardized test.  I attach a paper that lends help in what to do and look at when performing such tests.

best,

Claudia