Re: Potential for large-scale CO2 removal via enhanced rock weathering with croplands: Nature #rockdust #weathering #carbonmineralization

Frank Strie

Thanks for sharing the link to the recent article in Nature Ron and also  your positive comments Bob.
Natural Resource management is a complex topic, as a ProSilva style restorative & regenerative forester and primary producer, market gardener, fruit and nut grower and biochar producer, user and trader. We know that media, journalists  and headlines seem to highlight individual activities and inputs and that then each possible activity is “competing” or is ranked in its  individual effectiveness of particular expectations. This keep such people in business and many readers / the general public and community decision makers confused.
This is why I am so delighted to see that practicing farmers and foresters have found ways to share their ideas, their daily work, their concerns and questions to an ever growing network.
Due to the modern, fast and far reaching information flow and the ability to have citizens scientists and action network formed who meet weekly from their home, and farm, sawmill or board rooms and global research institutions. Zoom and Skype enable now more than 5000 Farmers in Australia to exchange under the “Farmers for Climate Action” FCA Banner with Farmers and Foresters and Researchers and Media in New Zealand working under the “Pure Advantage” Banner. Here in Tasmania we have intergenerational exploration of best practice by the “Soil First Tasmania” network, when it comes to holistic forestry, the site  specific  Forest Restoration Management approach is practiced by at least 6000 members made up of foresters, forest owners, students and scientists that meet since at least 1950 in Germany as the ANW  = “Arbeitsgemeinschaft Naturgemäße Waldwirtschaft
“, since 1989 as ProSilva Europe, since early 1990s in UK as the “Continuous Cover Forestry Group” . Formal ProSilva (lat. For the Forest) Country Networks have formed in 25 Countries by now and I am working with other likeminded foresters and forest managers in Tassie and Mainland Australia and also in New Zealand to set up ProSilva Australia #26 and New Zealand #27. In the United States there is also the “Forest Stewards Guild” active in linking complex management from soil and hydrology, landscape restoration, forest management, harvesting and regeneration with meaningful employment, training and education.
The reason why I contacted Prof. Bruno Glaser in Germany  in March 2004  from under Down Under Tasmania was that I was fascinated to explore the possibilities to restore complex, biodiverse and productive forest landscapes etc.
Biochar and other Pyrogenic Carbon products are closely linked to Biomass Energy utilization. Biochar and other DesignerChars can not be separated from Circular Economic developments  but is integral to a Circular Bioeconomy.
As soon as people understand the complex, interlinked opportunities of waste upcycling and energy co-generation  (thermal & potentially power) with Pyrogenic Carbon production in their local region do they get into action mode.
Since 2007 the EcoModelRegion /
Ökoregion Kaindorf is a best practice example in combined community, industry, education & training circular economy. What began with 20 Farmers and Composters   around a big table some 13 years ago has grown to the annual Humus Symposium with some 400 participants  and also the establishment of the Humus Akademie Kaindorf  in 2017. Example the IBI excursion 2018: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsN6bh9jTbk

“Growing the economy from the bottom up”
In Bavaria we visited  the “EM Chiemgau” and the Christoph Fischer GmbH they doing remarkable activities with the farmers and community members in the glocal / global & local context and in Switzerland the ‘Ithaka Institute for carbon intelligence’ founded by Hans-Peter Schmidt (the Biochar Journal)  in 2013  and represented by Kathleen Draper in the United States.
‘Landwirtschaft 5.0’ / Agriculture 5.0 at the Technical University in Offenburg and Uni. Freiburg in SW Germany. …
All great work in progress at every level, and the Fachverband Pflanzenkohle and the EBC all valuable stuff.
Best regards from under Down Under again
Frank for Climate Action  (FCA)
www.terrapretadevelopments.com.au

Active with Farmers for Climate Action (FCA) https://farmersforclimateaction.org.au