Re: [EXTERN] [Biochar] Creation of Task Forces to advance the implementation of the "4 per 1000" Strategic Plan #4per1000

Tom Miles

Benoit,

There is a little more activity than you have characterized but it is spread over broader areas. France has had a strong tradition in carbonization, charcoal, pyrolysis, torrefaction and the use of charcoal for industrial purposes. I have personally worked with French researchers and technology providers on pyrolysis and gasification since the 1980s.

IBI has members and subscribers who are active with biochar in France and French speaking countries in North Africa, SubSaharan Africa and in Brazil. Companies using biochar include a few composting and soil amendment companies. Most French research seem to be collaborative efforts in EU projects. We have heard that there has been historic opposition to biochar within INRA. The opposition may explain the limited activity by IRSTEA (formerly CEMAGREF) except for co-composting. We don’t know if that has changed with the merger of INRA and IRSTEA to INRAE.

INRAE is France's new National Research Institute for Agriculture, Food and Environment, created on January 1, 2020, It was formed by the merger of INRA, the National Institute for Agricultural Research, and IRSTEA, the National Research Institute of Science and Technology for the Environment and Agriculture.”

There is some activity from ADEME but in the context of co-products of pyrolysis and gasification. Agence de l'Environnement et de la Maîtrise de l'Énergie (ADEME).

Technology providers ETIA/VT Green, now Scanship, (represented by Norris Thermal in the US) and some producers like Florentaise and SLB Groupe in France have been strong supporters of biochar.

Tom