Re: Dwelling on Drawdown #drawdown

d.michael.shafer@gmail.com

Kathleen,

Nothing re your question, but a related one: have you found a replacement for cement? I know about using biochar in cement, but the entire process is so energy and carbon intensive (extensive?) that no amount of biochar will offset its foot print. But is there an alternative for slabs, columns, etc. that is routinely available? Where we are, cutting trees is banned and composite wood products are not available.

photo
Dr. D. Michael Shafer
Founder and Director, Warm Heart

+1 732-745-9295 | +66 (0)85 199-2958 | d.michael.shafer@...

www.warmheartworldwide.org | Skype: live:d.michael.shafer53

On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 10:30 PM Kathleen Draper <biocharro2@...> wrote:
Hello all-
I've been on a bit of a biochar hiatus for the past few months due to building my own personal c-sink sanctuary. I've dubbed my project Dwelling on Drawdown as I'm trying to incorporate different sequestration techniques and avoiding, to the extent possible, high embodied carbon products. I've learned this is NOT easy and though there are some VERY interesting biochar based building materials in the pipeline, they are not commercially available yet for the most part.

The first 1st biochar sink I used (maybe discovered?) was applying it as pipe bedding in my very rocky soils - normally regulations in New York call for 6 - 12" of sand for pipe bedding. I didn't have enough to do it as deep as I would have liked, but still managed to sequestered probably 1 ton of CO2e. I calculated that if I had put biochar 1' deep along the whole trench it could have sequestered 6 - 8 tons.  The current biochar sink that I am working on is in the dripline trenches and the next will be in my leach field. Does anyone know of others that have done anything like this and if so, do they have any advice especially on application methods, amounts and particle size? Photos in the attached show our unique application method - not the greatest, but it worked!

Cheers
Kathleen