Re: A question about biochar as a decontaminate #contaminate

d.michael.shafer@gmail.com

Wayne,

Many thanks for the information. i am familiar with the mercury studies from efforts to contain mercury pollution from artisanal gold mining in Africa.

The question of cost-benefit is always a hard one, especially if you are dealing with costly, high end chars in the US or Europe. The cost-benefit in Africa is pretty straightforward, since there are no alternatives, the costs are high and easily observed and the cost of making char negligible. The char may be just good enough, but if used in sufficient quantity, it is a whole lot better than unmitigated mercury runoff.

photo
Dr. D. Michael Shafer
Founder and Director, Warm Heart

+1 732-745-9295 | +66 (0)85 199-2958 | d.michael.shafer@...

www.warmheartworldwide.org | Skype: live:d.michael.shafer53

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 4:57 PM Teel, Wayne <teelws@...> wrote:

Michael,

The South River Science Team based in Waynesboro, VA has done a number of longer term studies on mercury contamination in the river which comes in from eroding stream banks and contaminated soil leaching.  They have found that biochar (some sourced from Biochar Now in Colorado) does mitigate a substantial portion of the contamination from these sources.  https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0883292718300428?via%3Dihub  (This is just the abstract.  There might be an Elsevier pay wall, but I have not pursued that.)

While the article is typical of science publications and calls for more studies, a standard practice, biochar is near the top of the mitigation techniques they use.  Of course this is for mercury, not lead, but I would suspect the same is true for that positive ion.  It is not frivolous, but it is also not without cost.  The real question is whether the costs are exceeded by the damage that mitigation would prevent.  We are not always good at answering that question.

Wayne

Wayne S. Teel
701 Carrier Drive
ISAT MSC 4102