Re: Biocahr in field. #technology #flamecap

John Webster

We are working on funding for in-field biochar production in Park City, Utah, in 2021. Focus on agricultural waste streams and hazardous forest fuels removal. Park City is a mountain town with three ski resorts. They understand the importance of biochar in soil health and forest resilience.

Planning on slightly modified versions of Oregon and Ring of Fire kilns.

I look forward to Dr Sahoo's webinar being published.

- John
801-870-2465 mobile (best)
276-BIO-CHAR office
Web: gobiochar.com
Twitter/Instagram/Facebook: @gobiochar

To: main@biochar.groups.io
Cc: "john" <john@...>, biochar@groups.io, "ken carloni" <ken.carloni@...>, "kamalakanta sahoo" <kamalakanta.sahoo@...>
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2020 1:58:02 PM
Subject: Re: [Biochar] Biocahr in field.

KK Sahoo is very interested in working with information from commercial operations to ground truth his models. He has used inputs from contractors. Thanks to the Forest Products Laboratory for their support. 
Tom

T R Miles Technical Consultants Inc.
tmiles@...
Sent from mobile. 

On Sep 25, 2020, at 12:01 PM, Ron Larson <rongretlarson@...> wrote:

Oops -  I don’t know why this note went out prematurely.  Apologies.

add Dr.   Sahoo as a cc and the name to begin my part a)

a continued).   Reason for the glitch-  I was locating this USDA/USFS site for Dr.  Sahoo’s talk - Biochar: Technoeconomics 
and Life Cycle Assessments

I hope Dr. Sahoo will add anything for this list that is pertinent.  I asked about lessons from his 3-method comparison that might help to lower costs.  The next item b) might be one.   
I also asked whether there was enough money now in wildfire prevention to cover the costs of char-making.  Almost all federal money is going to wildfire extinguishment - NOT prevention.  
It is great to hear from this important Wisconsin part of the USFS.

b).  The Capital Hill story below (from John0 featured Ken using retired solar thermal collectors to make the equivalent of a (Kelpie) type “Oregon” kiln.  I think this is a great (because very low cost) invention.  I hope Dr. Carloni can add some more on that and the other work described in the (yesterday’s) paper that John has given below.  Dr. Carloni and I talked briefly this AM.   I am impressed with his work.

beginning of response below.

(With apologies for sending this in two parts.)

Ron

On Sep 25, 2020, at 12:15 PM, Ronal Larson <rongretlarson@...> wrote:

John and list,  cc Ken

Normally I would have just suggested that you forward your (very valuable) recommendation below.  Thanks for sending it.  (John is doing great job in Utah selling biochar with strong permaculture orientation.  We. Know each other because of a connection with Park City.)

But I wanted to add two other topics:

a).  Yesterday there was a USFS-USBI webinar that covered some of the same ground.  A few list member names recognized (including Kewlpie Wilson - in both).  Not yet up probably for replay - but I urge anyone interested in detailed costing to keep track at this site:  
I have received a copy of the presentation from Dr.  

b).  

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: Biocahr in field.
Date: September 25, 2020 at 10:14:39 AM MDT
To: Ronal Larson <rongretlarson@...>

Join main@Biochar.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.