Re: Biocahr in field. #technology #flamecap

Kelpie Wilson

Hi Paul,
I am using the term "gasifier" somewhat loosely. Gasification is really staged combustion that separates gases from solids and it occurs in a similar way in a lot of devices such as furnaces and boilers. I mainly want to distinguish between updraft and downdraft because downdraft gasifiers are quite a distinct technology where the gas passes through the hot char bed. The issue here is char characteristics. I can make biochar in a barrel TLUD, a flame cap kiln,  or an open burn pile from the same feedstocks and it will have very similar characteristics. If I made it in a retort or a charcoal clamp, it would be different.

As always, temperature, pressure, particle size, residence time and feedstock determine the characteristics.

-Kelpie