Re: Biocahr in field. #technology #flamecap

Kelpie Wilson

Yes KK is doing important work. The data came from the Waste to Wisdom project and the original report was produced by Maureen Puettmann of Woodlife Consulting http://www.woodlifeconsulting.com/staff

Here is the report, or you can download it from my website:
https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/55a2e356-17ba-48af-b8c3-a76d3f66be29/downloads/w2w-biochar-lca-final-report.pdf?ver=1600466012213

I was a co-author and I provided data and helped to develop the models. I also wrote a literature review of biochar LCA as part of the introduction that has a lot of references if you are interested in biochar LCA.

The data for the BSI machine was produced by Schatz Center at Humboldt State University and it was much more robust and complete than the data for the Oregon Kiln and the Air Burner. Those data were supplied by me, based on my experience working with the Umpqua Biochar Education Team on a 17 acre stewardship contract with the USFS (Oregon Kiln) and my observations of an Air Burner working on a USFS thinning project on the Rogue-Siskiyou NF. Jack LeRoy was the contractor who operated the Air Burner and he kindly provided me with his estimates of operating parameters and outputs.

For the Oregon Kiln we used emissions data from Cornelissen, G., Pandit, N. R., Taylor, P., Pandit, B. H., Sparrevik, M., & Schmidt, H. P. (2016). Emissions and Char Quality of Flame-Curtain" Kon Tiki" Kilns for Farmer-Scale Charcoal/Biochar Production. PloS one11(5), e0154617.

To my knowledge, this is still the only published emissions data for any form of flame cap kiln. We assumed that the Air Burner would have the same emissions profile. The lack of emissions data on these devices is a big problem.

What I love about KK's work is that he has added the economic side to our LCA. And he has created a model that we can use to evaluate such systems going forward.