Re: 2nd batch flame cap trench method #technology #flamecap

Paul S Anderson

Eli,

Some quick notes.     50% of carbon atoms of biomass remain in the biochar, but by weight that is only about 20%.   Retorts and TLUDs do not produce char that is, in general, different from flame-cap / trench / cavity char.

I do not trust an Infrared thermometer to be relevant for the temperatures of charcoal making.   If other readers disagree, I am interested in their responses.

You could get variation in your trench-made chars if you do not have some  mixing to be sure that no biomass has been protected from pyrolysis heat because of other biomass on top of it.

Any type of blower on a long metal pipe can give you some thermal boost.

Best wishes,

Inventor of RoCC kilns for biochar and energy:  See  www.woodgas.com