Re: [ADV] [Biochar] Use of TARS and Condensates as a Plant Growth Promoter #woodvinegar #tars

Stephen Joseph

Hi Tom

Yes they can depends on pyrolysis process conditions.

On 22 Nov 2020, at 10:45 am, Tom Miles <tmiles@...> wrote:

Stephan,

Do low temperature straw and shell based vinegars have high concentrations of soluble alkali like potassium? Ash is often low in nut shells – 1-2% - compared with straws -5-8% - so one might expect the quantities of volatile nutrients to be low in nut shells but there are a lot of nut residues available.

Experiences with nut shell biochars seems to vary. Eudicot nuts like macadamia, pecan, and Brazil nut appear to have high lignin. Pistachio shells make a very interesting biochar.

Tom

From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> On Behalf Of Stephen Joseph
Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2020 2:53 PM
To: main@Biochar.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ADV] [Biochar] Use of TARS and Condensates as a Plant Growth Promoter

In fact If you look at the literature the very low temperature wood vinegar which has virtually no tar is more efficient at growth promotion where as the higher temperature wood vinegar is more effective as a biopesticide.

Straw, bamboo and shell based vinegars  seem to more effective than most hardwoods.

On 22 Nov 2020, at 8:55 am, John Miedema <jmiedema@...> wrote:

The point of my last email (which I accidentally sent before I was finished) is that it is my opinion that we need to know exactly what we are doing and what we are making prior to just spraying WV into the environment.
The wood vinegar I make for my own use and agricultural research purposes has been repeatedly tested for toxins and is made in the same manner with the same feedstock. The heavy tar is either essentially avoided ( via temperature control) or decanted out than gasified in my downdraft gasifier by pouring it over the fuel.