Re: White paper "Climate Intervention with Biochar" and related webinar on 10 Dec

Paul S Anderson

Michael,

Thanks for those comments.   I await your  re-calculations.

Although the methane is noteworthy, I would counter the comments by saying that a 20 year “penalty” is to be reduced if possible, but it is not sufficient to justify delays in using such technologies.    20 yrs out of 80 to the end of the century still leaves the sequestration value to be 60 years favorable, and then for many more additional centuries of sequestration value.  

Are you attending the US National Biochar Week that started Monday.   3 hours each day.   11 AM – 2 PM Eastern Time Zone.    Sorry that it is sooooooo late for you in Thailand.       Register (feee) at    www.easternbiochar.org    I have a 10 minute presentation today Tuesday at 12:30 PM Eastern  Time.

Paul

Doc / Dr TLUD / Paul S. Anderson, PhD --- Website:   www.drtlud.com

Email:  psanders@...       Skype:   paultlud

Phone:  Office: 309-452-7072    Mobile & WhatsApp: 309-531-4434

Exec. Dir. of Juntos Energy Solutions NFP    Go to: www.JuntosNFP.org 

Inventor of RoCC kilns for biochar and energy:  See  www.woodgas.energy 

Author of “A Capitalist Carol” (free digital copies at www.capitalism21.org)

with pages 88 – 94 about solving the world crisis for clean cookstoves.

From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> On Behalf Of d.michael.shafer@... via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, December 8, 2020 12:10 AM
To: main@biochar.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Biochar] White paper "Climate Intervention with Biochar" and related webinar on 10 Dec

[This message came from an external source. If suspicious, report to abuse@...]

Paul,

I have been corresponding with Hans Pieter Schmidt and others of the biochar "biggies" about a new project involving the counting of small producer biochar in the climate change budget.

I have learned a number of interesting things. According to Schmidt, it is essential to separate our (as he calls it) "Kon-tiki" pyrolysis from other stuff because of the methane emitted. The methane, he argues, offsets carbon sequestration values for 20 years, that is, until the methane had entirely broken down. As far as I know, TLUDs do not emit methane.

He also contends that the "NOx bundle" is not considered "climate forcing" only N2) is, that he asserts it is not included in the bundle. S. Akagi does not give a separate EF for N2O. He would therefore contend that the 3.11 kg/tonne for NOx that is included in CO2e is not valid unless an EF for N2) can be found to replace it.

He also contends that while NH3 (ammonia) is a smog precursor, it is not a climate forcer and therefore cannot be counted in CO2e.

Finally, he says that the best way to go about our work is to focus exclusively on emissions reductions from open field burning of biomass and not try to deal with sequestration where the carbon math gets very complicated.

As for biomass totals, I have been doing a lot of reading. According to "scientific" sources,crop waste biomass is best measured as "dry matter," something that i have never encountered in the field and something that is NOT cited in the FAO stats. Koppmann, 2012, a big player in this realm, constantly refers to a late 1990s figure of 8.7 gigatonnes of waste biomass as dry matter. Corn cob from the field comes in at 15% moisture content or more such that this is equal to at least 10 gigatonnes + of not dry biomass. 

For whatever reason, FAOSTAT will not load just now, but when it does, I will re-run my numbers for say 1999 to see how they compare. Because feed and food crop production have increased so rapidly and so much in the past 20 years, I suspect that I will find that my figures and the DM figures are reasonably close.

I will let you know as soon as I can get to the website.

M

photo

Dr. D. Michael Shafer
Founder and Director, Warm Heart

+1 732-745-9295 | +66 (0)85 199-2958 | d.michael.shafer@...

www.warmheartworldwide.org | Skype: live:d.michael.shafer53

61 M.8 T.Maepang A.Phrao 50190 Chiang Mai Thailand

Social icon

Social icon

Social icon

App Banner Image

App Social Buttons Image   App Social Buttons Image  

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 3:30 AM Paul S Anderson <psanders@...> wrote:

This white paper will be summarized and discussed at a free webinar that is announce in the attachment:  9 AM EST Thursday 10 December 2020.

Please forward this announcement to others who have interest in either our climate crisis or biochar or both.

Climate Intervention

with Biochar

A White Paper about Biochar and Energy (BC&E) for

Carbon Dioxide Removal (CDR) and Emission Reduction (ER)

First Edition dated 2020-12-07

Distributed from the website  www.woodgas.energy 

The white paper’s direct URL is    https://woodgas.energy/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Climate-Intervention-With-Biochar.pdf

Executive Summary of Biochar White Paper

Elevator Speech: 

Major impacts to fight the climate crisis are possible now with the economical use of biochar and energy (BC&E) as a negative emissions technology (NET) for millennial sequestration of gigatons of atmospheric CO2e as a soil enhancement while also being an emission reduction (ER) source for valuable needed heat.  Opportunities for practical, prompt actions are in Part Two of the white paper.

* * *  Part One:  Biochar among the NETs  * * *

A.  Carbon dioxide removal (CDR) involves two separate actions:  remove CO2 from the atmosphere and sequester it for at least hundreds of years.  Of the recognized Negative Emissions Technologies (NETs), only one good combination is functional now for gigatons of CDR. 

B.   Natural photosynthesis by plants in forests, fields, wild lands, and oceans (as associated with AR, SCS, and OF) can do at low-cost massive amounts of CO2 removal by creating biomass that is abundant and can even be increased.  

C.  Pyrolysis of that biomass can produce highly stable carbon for sequestration while also providing vast amounts of valuable heat, being the NET called Biochar and Energy (BC&E). 

D.  Other technical solutions (DACCS, BECCS, EW and OF) are still in development stages involving sorbents and inorganic chemistry for expensive carbon capture and storage (CCS). 

E.  It is time to recognize pyrolytic biochar from biomass as a practical way get CDR started immediately.

* * *  Part Two:  Gigatons of CO2 Removal and Reduction via Biochar  * * *

F.  Nearly 0.2 Gt CO2/yr currently is being made worldwide into stable carbon:  But it is charcoal produced to be burned for cooking for 2 billion people, not for sequestration.  Section XI. 

G.  Micro-gasifier BC&E TLUD biomass cookstoves produce biochar equal to approximately 1 t CO2 removal per stove per year.  With carbon offset support, sustainable and even profitable fexpansion could sequester 0.25 Gt CO2e/yr with many SDG benefits for the bottom quintile of socio-economic families with a decrease in the consumption of biomass fuel.  Section XII. 

H.  Recent (2020 patent application) advances in lower-cost mid-range BC&E char making technology help make scalable CDR solutions possible.  Section XIII.

I.  Cleaner air is a benefit while sequestering a Gt of CO2e/yr from pyrolysis of crop residues, with co-benefits for SDGs.  Section XV. 

J.  Biomass disposal via BC&E for fire safety, forestry slash and urban waste.   Section XVI.

K.  Biomass pyrolysis and electric power production.  Sections XVII.

L. Heat for housing and industrial process heat.   Sections XVIII and XIX.     

M.  Co-benefits of Biochar and the financial value of CDR, by biochar    Sections XXI and XXII

N.  A blockchain-secured carbon accounting and verifiable biochar sequestration recording and mapping system for ER and CDR is operational. Sections IX and XX.

* * *  Part Three:  Conclusions and Actions   * * *

N.  Summary of CO2 removal via BC&E, reaching up to 9.2 Gt/yr CO2e. Section XXIV         

O.  A call to action.  “If we cannot promptly implement these comparatively easy, benefit-rich Biochar and Energy (BC&E) initiatives, we will lose the battle to save our planet.”        Paul S. Anderson, PhD, Woodgas Pyrolytics, 7 December 2020 (psanders@... )

++++++++++++

Doc / Dr TLUD / Paul S. Anderson, PhD --- Website:   www.drtlud.com

Email:  psanders@...       Skype:   paultlud

Phone:  Office: 309-452-7072    Mobile & WhatsApp: 309-531-4434

Exec. Dir. of Juntos Energy Solutions NFP    Go to: www.JuntosNFP.org 

Inventor of RoCC kilns for biochar and energy:  See  www.woodgas.energy 

Author of “A Capitalist Carol” (free digital copies at www.capitalism21.org)

with pages 88 – 94 about solving the world crisis for clean cookstoves.

Join main@Biochar.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.