Re: Beware of 'Red Herrings' and 'Big Brothers' ... RE: Biochar production is a system and staged process RE: [Biochar] Farmer who built a Kon-Tiki that was tractor mounted and fitted with spreader.

Frank Strie

Good morning Don,
This is an ever evolving process as was the development of the development of car transport and  aeroplanes…
Rather than to pinpoint  to what you like to see but not actually do, it would be more useful to demonstrate what is possible.
You can imagine that a Biochar producer may damage the reputation of the Biochar industry but have you ever actually designed, financed or built technology?
If you find it useful to condense incomplete smoke from a retort or gasifier, then do that, my network and I  will not stand in your way.
If the Regulator in NSW is different to other states, then you could chair the NSWBIG rather than indirectly creating hurdles beyond your reach.
If you like to have discussions in your group Re:
Many of my colleagues share my views on the Kontiki that it may not be the best for our brand overall …” then that is just as you like, I have no issue about someone’s opinion.  
However,  if / as you use a global / international discussion group like this one to express “your view and that of many of your colleagues” as the CEO of a Australia and New Zealand organisation that is about to draft a code of practice that may or potentially degrade and damage my business interests “
with respect” then I do have a big issue with that.

There are many ways and many reasons why we make Pyrogenic Carbon.
Seriously
Frank Strie
Terra Preta Developments
www.terrapretadevelopments.com.au/products

From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don Coyne
Sent: Wednesday, December 9, 2020 9:27 AM
To: main@Biochar.groups.io
Subject: Re: Beware of 'Red Herrings' and 'Big Brothers' ... RE: Biochar production is a system and staged process RE: [Biochar] Farmer who built a Kon-Tiki that was tractor mounted and fitted with spreader.

Hi Frank & Geoff,

This is a discussion group, lets just stick to the points brought up rather than lowest common denominator judgements hey?! That being, Hans Peter's statement in the webinar mentioned that a Kontiki releases methane and can take 35 years to be carbon neutral or negative. Your thoughts on this? Also naked flame fire risk. If we can also capture wood vinegar and syngas in these smaller mobile units we are going to be much closer to confidently rolling them out in ANZ because we will have a much more accurate idea of being carbon negative or as close thereof via a Life Cycle Assessment IMO only. I'm not into taking dangerous or cheaper shortcuts, I'd like to get it right and hence why I've stuck as best I can to the NSW legislation and I'm not even there yet. For discussion. 

The units I put up are a member and non member so despite the false claims this is simply a discussion about the safe and effective production and use of biochar in Australia and New Zealand. I hear your points Frank about PT & SJ hood design which was just an example of a way to perhaps make the Kontiki safer to operate but I particularly like Robert Laird's mobile retort fully enclosed, producing wood vinegar too and cooking off syngas. Once again he is not a member of ANZBIG. Any comments on this design? This is where' I'd like to see the industry go. I'm not saying I'm right, maybe I've missed something but its open for discussion. Many of my colleagues share my views on the Kontiki that it may not be the best for our brand overall, I am agnostic for now but tend to agree. 

Also, Aboriginals are doing cool savannah burnings in winter to manage the land so I did qualify that the Kontiki is a better way than burning off or landfilling and I did also say respected what you've done Frank. I expect the same in return. I think it's great that you've developed an efficient solar powered fire fighter Geoff. I've heard of Robert Tonks who has invented a biochar liquid spray for fire fighting and a replacement for PFAS. Now CSIRO want to publish his work. Like anything prevention is better than cure is it not?

Have a good day gentlemen, its another scorcher out there! 

Chars, 

Don 

Join main@Biochar.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.