From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don Coyne
Sent: Wednesday, December 9, 2020 9:27 AM
To: main@Biochar.groups.io
Subject: Re: Beware of 'Red Herrings' and 'Big Brothers' ... RE: Biochar production is a system and staged process RE: [Biochar] Farmer who built a Kon-Tiki that was tractor mounted and fitted with spreader.

Hi Frank & Geoff,

This is a discussion group, lets just stick to the points brought up rather than lowest common denominator judgements hey?! That being, Hans Peter's statement in the webinar mentioned that a Kontiki releases methane and can take 35 years to be carbon neutral or negative. Your thoughts on this? Also naked flame fire risk. If we can also capture wood vinegar and syngas in these smaller mobile units we are going to be much closer to confidently rolling them out in ANZ because we will have a much more accurate idea of being carbon negative or as close thereof via a Life Cycle Assessment IMO only. I'm not into taking dangerous or cheaper shortcuts, I'd like to get it right and hence why I've stuck as best I can to the NSW legislation and I'm not even there yet. For discussion.

The units I put up are a member and non member so despite the false claims this is simply a discussion about the safe and effective production and use of biochar in Australia and New Zealand. I hear your points Frank about PT & SJ hood design which was just an example of a way to perhaps make the Kontiki safer to operate but I particularly like Robert Laird's mobile retort fully enclosed, producing wood vinegar too and cooking off syngas. Once again he is not a member of ANZBIG. Any comments on this design? This is where' I'd like to see the industry go. I'm not saying I'm right, maybe I've missed something but its open for discussion. Many of my colleagues share my views on the Kontiki that it may not be the best for our brand overall, I am agnostic for now but tend to agree.

Also, Aboriginals are doing cool savannah burnings in winter to manage the land so I did qualify that the Kontiki is a better way than burning off or landfilling and I did also say respected what you've done Frank. I expect the same in return. I think it's great that you've developed an efficient solar powered fire fighter Geoff. I've heard of Robert Tonks who has invented a biochar liquid spray for fire fighting and a replacement for PFAS. Now CSIRO want to publish his work. Like anything prevention is better than cure is it not?

Have a good day gentlemen, its another scorcher out there!

 Chars,

Don