Von: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> Im Auftrag von Veronica Kitti via groups.io
Gesendet: Freitag, 8. Januar 2021 11:08
An: main@Biochar.groups.io; main@Biochar.groups.io
Cc: biochar@groups.io
Betreff: [EXTERN] Re: [EXTERN] Re: [Biochar] Biocycle Connect: Compost Use Tops List Of Healthy Soils Practices

Dear Tom, Stephen and Claudia,
Thank you for this interesting information. It is very helpful. However I have few questions:
1. If disease infested biomass is used in the biochar amended compost, what are the effects on the viruses?
2. Will there be percentage variation in the biochar application to disease infested biomass and biomass with no diseases in the biochar amended composting?

Thank you
Veronica

On Friday, January 8, 2021, 10:44:53 AM GMT+1, Claudia Kammann <claudia.kammann@...> wrote:

Hi all,

thermal hygienization via biochar production really is a hot topic (pun intended) that may become more important in the future. In greenhouse vegetable or fruit production, high-temperature resistant tabac-mosaic viruses are really a big, fat economic problem. These viruses survive even high-temperature composting (e.g. 70°C). So, whenever infected residue survives or is recycled in these cultures you re-infect your new crop.

Therefore, if disease-infected biomass is pyrolyzed, you can keep the carbon and use the biochar, either within organic vegetable production in greenhouses or somewhere else.

Best, Claudia