Re: The First Farmer in the US to Sequester Carbon for Cash Earns $115,000 For His New Planting Strategies #carbon #market

Claudia Kammann

Hi all,

I think it is this paper Thomas Carsten talked about…? Awesome results that give hope! J

Best wishes,

Claudia

Von: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> Im Auftrag von Paul S Anderson
Gesendet: Sonntag, 14. März 2021 19:45
An: main@Biochar.groups.io
Cc: Michael Babcock <mbabcock.474@...>
Betreff: [EXTERN] Re: [Biochar] The First Farmer in the US to Sequester Carbon for Cash Earns $115,000 For His New Planting Strategies #carbon #market

Thomas,  

That is fantastic news!!!!   Great results will scream for replications.   I hope that we do not need another 6 years to  have confirmations.   

Hundreds of questions (including about the soil where the results were obtained), but will await the publication or any pre-pub releases.

Congratulations,

Paul

Doc / Dr TLUD / Paul S. Anderson, PhD --- Website:   www.drtlud.com

Email:  psanders@...       Skype:   paultlud

Phone:  Office: 309-452-7072    Mobile & WhatsApp: 309-531-4434

Exec. Dir. of Juntos Energy Solutions NFP    Go to: www.JuntosNFP.org 

Inventor of RoCC kilns and author of Biochar white paper :  See  www.woodgas.energy/resources  

Author of “A Capitalist Carol” (free digital copies at www.capitalism21.org)

with pages 88 – 94 about solving the world crisis for clean cookstoves.

From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> On Behalf Of Thomas Casten via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, March 13, 2021 9:22 PM
To: main@biochar.groups.io
Cc: Michael Babcock <mbabcock.474@...>
Subject: Re: [Biochar] The First Farmer in the US to Sequester Carbon for Cash Earns $115,000 For His New Planting Strategies #carbon #market

[This message came from an external source. If suspicious, report to abuse@...]

Our work on Maize economics, soon to be published, found reports that six years after the application of biochar containing 7 tons/ hectare of recalcitrant carbon, the soil organic carbon grew by 14 tons more than in the control plot, in addition to the 7 tons -- a true three-fer.

We find some similar numbers, but ask all researchers with access to plots that had biochar amendments some years back to measure and document the current SOC differences between the old control plots and the biochar-amended plots.  \

If you have information, please call me at the work number below.

Tom

Thomas R Casten

Director of Economic Studies, IBI
Cell: 630-915-9215
Work: 630-321-1095

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 11:09 PM Rick Wilson via groups.io <rick012=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

What may not be accounted for is that placing biochar in soil catalyzes the accumulation of carbon.

In regards to the question, how long does the carbon need to say in the soil, if you watched Bill Gates 60 minutes, and you buy into what he said, he claims that we have 30 years to fix the problem.

I believe the bigger question around longevity is how long can we expect the amended soil accumulating soil to remain in tact.  

If I invest in farm land, and convert it to regenerative agriculture, will my son decide to sell it for a condo development and take the money once I’m gone. 

Rick

On Feb 15, 2021, at 8:59 PM, Tom Miles <tmiles@...> wrote:

These markets convert best assessments of carbon sequestration into financial products that don’t feel or smell like soil. The time scales probably just constitute conservative frames for buyers. If we can generate enough cash flow from crops and carbon to improve soil health and sequester carbon we can make this process cost effective. 

T R Miles Technical Consultants Inc.

Sent from mobile. 

On Feb 15, 2021, at 8:21 PM, Geoff Thomas <wind@...> wrote:

Tom, i Understand how difficult it must be for rating agencies in this field, - how can they deal with Terra Preta  large areas at 7,000. years old?

Perhaps they could just say, "Maximum Known 7,000 years."

Perhaps then to indicate some areas may last less so 1,000 year or whatever measurements should be done.

Gives a strong base line or starting place, don’t you think?

Cheers,

Geoff Thomas.

On 16 Feb 2021, at 12:07 am, Kathleen Draper <biocharro2@...> wrote:

Do we know if this is $15 per ton of CARBON or per ton of CO2e? It was hard to tell on their website.

Either way the price per ton that NORI is offering is much lower than what Puro or Carbon Future are getting for biochar. Their price point is close to what carbon offsets are selling for and I think removals should be valued higher than reduction, though both are needed.

--
Thomas R Casten
tr9casten@...
630-915-9215

Join main@Biochar.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.