Re: [EXTERN] Re: [Biochar] Biochar-Compost analysis

Claudia Kammann

Hello Lakshmikanth,

One of the things that I noticed that may have been missing from your mixture is fresh plant material (leaf litter, residue, pruning with leaves, grass cuttings etc.) that the decomposing microbes can use as an easy source of degradable carbon. Cow manure: Carbohydrates have largely been already digested by the cow, so less “fuel” for a good composting process.

Why was the gypsum added, is there S deficiency in the soils where its use is intended?

In the attached paper and supplementary, we describe a mixture that provided a high-quality compost. Hope this helps –

Claudia