Re: Global crop waste burning - micro-biochar; how a small community development organization learned experientially to address a huge problem one tiny field at a time

d.michael.shafer@gmail.com

Tom,

You are too generous.

I think that the main takeaway regarding carbon removal is that the rest of the world holds vast, untapped potential if we are willing to start by thinking about the real world constraints facing those who can help.

Connected to this is our current project: how to create a verification and certification system for small farmers to be able to qualify for incentive $ for making and burying biochar.

As far using heat from trenches, if anyone has ideas, please let me know. The trench is an accommodation to the demands of living on a small farm on bad terrain. It is meant to be something a farmer can do anywhere with no more than a hoe. If there are uses for heat that fit within that picture or provide the farmer superior benefits that justify moving feedstock to a central location, please suggest them. I have chewed on this unsuccessfully for years.

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021, 12:35 AM Tom Miles <tmiles@...> wrote:

From Michael Shafer, Warm Heart Foundation

This is a must read!

“I am pleased to announce the publication, this past March, of an article in the Springer, online, scientific journal Sustainable Earth of my article describing how very low-cost, low-tech biochar made by the poorest farmers in the world can stop much global crop waste burning, reduce carbon and PM2.5 emissions, sequester large amounts of carbon, improve public health and reduce rural poverty. Entitled "Global crop waste burning – micro-biochar; how a small community development organization learned experientially to address a huge problem one tiny field at a time," the downloadable PDF can be found at https://lnkd.in/eFed3Xa or https://lnkd.in/eTFSArK

And https://sustainableearth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s42055-020-00037-y